Houston, TX United States
St. Mark’s seeks a lead 2nd Grade Teacher with a passion for teaching seven and eight year old students who work at grade level and above. The ideal candidate will work effectively as a member of a grade-level team to plan all aspects of the 2nd grade program. As a member of the Lower School faculty, the 2nd grade teacher will report to the Head of the Lower School and is responsible for maintaining an engaging 2nd grade classroom environment, assessing and reporting the progress of the students, leading parent conferences and managing parent communication regarding all aspects of the 2nd grade year.
- Teach a class of 21-22 2nd grade students
- Guide the work of a shared instructional assistant
- Establish positive and supportive relationships with each student and family
- Plan: word study, reading workshop, writing workshop, manipulatives-based math instruction, and thematic studies in science and social studies
- Understand and apply assessment-based instruction and classroom differentiation
- Communicate grade level goals, student learning, and classroom activities to parents
- Be a contributing member of the Lower School faculty through curriculum committee work and the ongoing work of the division
Required Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education
- A deep understanding of educating the whole child
- A passion for teaching and learning
- A collaborative spirit
- A personal commitment to professional growth
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience
- Genuine affinity for working with children and families in a highly engaged community
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Passionate approach for teaching young children
- Knowledge and experience of working in an independent school
About St. Mark’s Episcopal School
The community of St. Mark’s Episcopal School celebrates the uniqueness of each child. We are stewards of our students’ intellectual curiosity, faith, and passion for discovery. We cultivate joy, playfulness, and growth in a child-centered environment. Located in the West University Place neighborhood of Houston, St. Mark’s serves 450 students from two-year-olds through 8th grade. St. Mark’s is an engaging community of learners where the school partners with its families in preparing each student for the path that lies ahead through a stimulating, whole-child school experience. Through offerings in athletics, performing and visual arts, technology, Spanish and a robust curriculum, St. Mark’s prepares its graduates for the many high school options Houston offers, and successfully places its students in high schools which best fit each.
St. Mark’s is an Episcopal school, and as part of the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church parish, is known as a community environment and second home to over 350 families. The school is committed to its positive relationship with families, believing strongly in the power of a fully engaged dynamic between school and home. As a place where children are known, teachers understand what it means to meet children where they are, which plays a crucial role in fostering each child’s spirit.
Interested candidates should apply at www.stmes.org/careers.