Palm Beach Gardens, FL United States
St. Mark’s Episcopal School is excited to conduct a search for a sixth grade English and history teacher for the 2022-2023 school year.
St. Mark’s, established in 1979, is a coeducational parish day school, now serving 440 students from age two through Grade 8 in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The foundation of St. Mark’s program is to provide students with balanced exposure to academics, arts, athletics, and spiritual life. At all levels, our students will be, as our mission states, academically enriched in a nurturing Christian environment.
This specific position affords a teacher to show the connections of history and literature, fully examining the historical and societal impacts of history upon texts. Specifically, St. Mark’s English program aims to develop analytical readers, structured writers, confident speakers, and knowledgeable grammarians. To build their comprehension and interpretive skills, students study an array of literary genres from the classics and modern publications which align with their social studies curriculum. Our workshop format writing courses develop authors who produce authentic, structured writing with a focus on ideas, organization, word choice, conventions, voice, and sentence fluency. To prepare our students to thrive in what has become an increasingly global society, our social studies courses provide students with a foundational understanding of the geography, history, and political nature of both the United States and many other countries across the world.
Ideal candidates are those who seek to partner with parents, collaborate with team members, demonstrate a commitment to professional growth, motivate students academically, and support students in developing their moral character. A firm understanding of differentiated instruction and 21st century skills should drive this candidate’s instruction. Qualified candidates should have the understanding and ability to respond to the distinct needs of middle school students, as communication with children of this age requires a healthy balance of structure, empathy, and humor.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in an English or history related field.
- An interest in academic writing and the ability to convey research writing skills to students.
- An in-depth understanding of traditional grammar, including sentence diagramming.
- An understanding of best practices for teaching content area skills.
- Ability to manage a classroom while pulling small groups to differentiate instruction.
- Knowledge of authentic, age-appropriate technology integration.
- A love of the middle school age.
- Familiarity with independent school culture.
- Comfort with a faith-based school.
- An interest in leading co-curricular activities or coaching sports and chaperoning overnight trips.
For more information on St. Mark’s Episcopal School, visit our website at stmarkspbg.org. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Nicole Robison, Head of Middle School, at email@example.com.