Tampa, FL United States
Founded in 1960, Berkeley Preparatory School is a co-educational, Episcopal affiliated, independent, college preparatory school with a current enrollment of 1,380 students in grades Pre-K through 12.
At Berkeley, we seek to educate the whole child by nurturing students’ intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical development so they may attain their highest potential. We are also committed to providing an inclusive and diverse learning environment that encourages values and recognizes each student as a unique individual. Visit us at: http://www.berkeleyprep.org/teaching
Berkeley is located on a beautiful and well-equipped 86-acre campus, consisting of 29 state-of-the-art buildings. Our proud mascot is the Buccaneer. Graduates are well-rounded individuals who have learned the core values of discipline, diligence and integrity and excelled in the academic, co-curricular and character realms.
Academic Dean: Grades 9-10
Berkeley seeks to add an Academic Dean: Grades 9-10 for the 2021-22 school year. The 9th and 10th Grade Academic Dean is an integral member of the Upper Division academic leadership team. Working closely with students, faculty members, and parents, he or she oversees academics for approximately 40 students in the 9th and 10th grade classes respectively (for a total case load of about 80 students). Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Advise individual students on course selection, study techniques, time management, and general counseling
• Manage parental expectations while serving as a liaison and advocate for the parent-school partnership
• Facilitate communication between faculty and individual families, including matters of student academic planning and performance
• Attend the weekly meeting of the counseling team (deans of students, academic deans, college counselors, personal counselor, and assistant director)
• Work in close collaboration with the other three Grade 9-10 Academic Deans, the learning support specialist, and the personal counselor
• Play a key role (with others) in helping ensure that each student is known, nurtured, and well and that no student ‘falls through the cracks’
• Serve, as needed, on the Admissions Committee, reviewing applications, interviewing candidates for admission, and/or participating in Admissions Committee conversations
• Support the transition of new 9th and 10th grade students and families into the upper division community, including meeting individually with students and parents to discuss course selection and progression
• Serve as advisor to the 9th and 10th grades classes and work closely with class officers to complete projects, facilitate communication to students, and run class meetings
• teach one academic class in the appropriate department
Compensation and Benefits:
The appointment will begin August, 2021 and is a full-time position with full benefits. The compensation package will be very competitive nationally and commensurate with experience, degree attainment, and the national independent school and college markets.
All inquiries and nominations are kept confidential.
Berkeley Preparatory School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices. The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Interested Persons please send a resume and detailed cover letter to:
Berkeley Preparatory School