Christchurch, VA United States
Christchurch School is a co-ed Episcopal boarding and day school serving grades 9—12. Founded in 1921, Christchurch is located on a 125-acre waterfront campus on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The school’s Mission is to inspire and guide each student’s unique journey to self-confidence, purpose, and identity within a caring, structured community, where they discover their infinite value and develop the skills to become compassionate, successful, and engaged global citizens.
Position Overview. Christchurch School seeks a dynamic part-time instructor to work within the Visual & Performing Arts. Combining skills in music, theatre, and applied visual and creative arts, this position will work with colleagues to further the departmental mission to nurture creativity, expression, and connection. This is an opportunity to join a faculty and explore the possibilities of teaching in a competencies-based curriculum model that gives teachers a great deal of creative freedom within a curriculum that emphasizes connections to the local community.
Who you are: A person who fosters an inclusive workplace built on equitable policies and procedures. You are also able to engage a diverse team of co-workers and students.
Requirements and Qualifications.
- Qualified candidates should hold a degree in visual and/or performing art or a related field. Formal education training and teaching experience are desirable, as is prior coaching experience.
- Drawing from the strength of the candidate, course assignments may include, but not be limited to: choral music, music history, or music and culture; theatre, acting, or public speaking; and/or applied art (drawing, painting, sculpture & design, digital art, etc.).
- Candidates should be realistic and excited about the challenges and rewards of teaching at a boarding school.
- Candidates should be realistic and excited about working with students who have a wide variety of learning styles and ability levels.
Additional Opportunities: In addition to coaching, applicants may also apply to be involved in other aspects of the School. Examples include teaching, administration, residential life etc.
- Ability to work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods
- Ability to be mobile around campus and buildings
- Fast-paced, small boarding and day school
- No travel required
Equal Employment Opportunity: The School is an equal opportunity employer. The School provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, age, disability, genetic information or any other factor prohibited by applicable law. All aspects of personnel management – including hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment, layoff, discipline, termination, compensation, benefits, training and working conditions – will be administered in accordance with this policy. Each employee is expected to do their part to maintain a working environment free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Conditional Offers: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law.
Compensation & Benefits: Christchurch School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this position. Benefits such as health insurance, retirement, professional development, and housing may also be included at the discretion of the school.
Please submit an electronic resume and a letter of interest directly to Wesley M. Charlton, Associate Head of School, at email@example.com.