Harrisburg, PA United States
About St. Stephen’s:
Founded in 1978 as the primary mission of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral in Harrisburg, PA, St. Stephen’s Episcopal School provides a superior education in an Episcopal setting to students of all faiths and ethnic heritages, cultivating confident individuals who contribute positively to their families, school, and larger community. SSES has over 140 students, preschool through 8th grade, and is composed of 70% students of color, with over 60% of students receiving some level of tuition assistance. Students benefit from small class sizes, strong academics, and a sense of belonging in a loving community. The school values and celebrates ethnic, socioeconomic, racial, religious, and sexual/gender orientation diversity. Learn more at www.sseschool.org.
SSES is looking for an experienced educational leader with strong interpersonal and communication skills to serve as the school’s Assistant Head of School starting July 1, 2023. Reporting directly to the Head of School, the Assistant Head of School serves as chief operating officer and oversees the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of the school.
Who We’re Looking for:
- An experienced educator who understands child development from ages 3 to 14
- An educational leader who can shepherd faculty and staff through change, as we take our historic mission into the future.
- An innovator who can assess the value of both traditional and cutting edge pedagogy and support teachers in implementing new programs alongside tried-and-true methods and content
- A people person who excels at building and sustaining relationships with students, parents, staff, and other stakeholders
- A tenacious team member who is able to stay positive and motivated in the face of challenges
- A flexible thinker who is organized, analytical, and adaptable
- An advocate who has a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in their educational leadership
- A firm believer in St. Stephen’s mission
If this sounds like you, then we want to hear from you!
- Required: at least 2 years of relevant professional experience, preferably administrative leadership at an independent school
- Preferred: Advanced degree
- Preferred: a deep knowledge of the latest research in student-centered teaching and learning
- Knowledge/ familiarity with the Episcopal Church is a plus.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partnering with the Head of School in managing the school on a daily basis.
- Acting as the Head of School when the Head is away from campus.
- Ensuring that the school’s strategic plans are implemented in regards to program, instruction, curriculum, equity and inclusion, student support, staff development, and community building.
- Overseeing all aspects of student life including academic progress and assessment, upholding behavioral expectations, and coordinating the student support team.
- Managing teachers on a daily basis; overseeing teacher evaluation, onboarding and professional development.
- Creating and managing the daily schedule and instructional program, including special guests, trips, and events
- Collaborating with the Head of School to recruit and hire school employees.
- Interfacing effectively and proactively with SSES families when concerns, questions or disciplinary situations arise.
- Ensuring that SSES complies with outside regulatory and legal requirements and that internal policies and bylaws are upheld.
- Communicating with the SSES community about matters of daily operations and developments.
- Attending monthly Board of Director meetings to report on the daily operations of the school.
- Salary Range: $70,000-$85,000, commensurate with experience.
- Medical/Prescription/Dental/Vision Insurance coverage through a group health insurance plan
- Simple IRA plan, with school donation regardless of employee contribution
- Professional Development and Continuing Education funds
- Parking provided
- Generous paid time off and holidays during the school year
Equal Opportunity Employer:
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School (The School) does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability and familial affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. Black, Indigenous, & People of Color are encouraged to apply.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Interim Head of School Kirk Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org