Arden, NC United States
The Assistant Head of School is a key member of the Leadership Team, leading essential areas of school life with significant responsibilities. The Assistant Head of School will be a vital thought partner and collaborator with the Head of School. They will be a highly visible presence; shaping daily life; supporting the school’s mission and Four Pillars; and overseeing the residential program, athletics, wellness, and day-to-day tactical operations and educational goals of the school. The Assistant Head of School will nurture positive relationships with the boys; mentor faculty and staff; and support colleagues in making student-centered and mission-aligned decisions. The Assistant Head will champion a growth mindset and cultivate a “whole community” point of view in decisions, initiatives, and culture.
The Assistant Head of School joins Christ School at an exciting time, with an ambitious strategic plan already approved and a capital campaign ready to launch. The Assistant Head of School will sustain the momentum to build upon Christ School’s traditions and many strengths. The Assistant Head of School will join a community committed to growing and developing each boy into the best version of themselves.
Common Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Deep appreciation for Christ School’s mission, history, Four Pillars, and for growing and developing boys
- Inspiring leader with ability to navigate challenging circumstances and make and communicate difficult decisions with empathy and appropriate transparency
- Relational leader who is a good listener, approachable, reliable, responsive, communicative, warm, confident, and humble
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and high degree of cultural competency with the ability to build and maintain effective professional relationships with all constituencies in the school’s diverse community
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple simultaneous and complex projects
- Provide strategic leadership for the school and ensure all school activities support the school’s mission and strategic vision
- Serve as a key educational leader of the school and ensures curricular and programmatic coherence and consistency across grade levels, divisions and departments
- Serve as a liaison for parent concerns and communication as needed
- Oversee day-to-day operations, manage budgetary commitments, establish and conduct regular meetings with department heads to address school matters
- Articulate the school’s programs, expectations, and values clearly to all constituencies and represent the school in a manner that reflects its mission and values
- Participate in the development of the school’s comprehensive calendar and coordination of key functions and events
- Oversee staff and faculty recruiting and hiring efforts with the support of the hiring team. Also provide strategic direction and professional growth opportunities for all school faculty and staff.
- Oversee faculty teaching, coaching, and dormitory or duty assignments with the support of the Leadership Team
- Build relationships, show curiosity and optimism, and delegate while holding others accountable
- Collaborate with the Admissions Department to recruit and retain mission-appropriate students
- Serve on the school’s senior Leadership Team and work closely with teammates to support the school’s operations and advancement efforts
- Stay current on trends in independent schools and curriculum by taking an active role in professional activities and attending relevant professional meetings and conferences
- Advanced degree in an academic subject area or educational administration
- At least 5 years of experience in an academic leadership position, preferably in an independent school
- A proven track record of instructional leadership and curricular fluency with an interest in innovative educational practices
- Effective decision-maker with a commitment to a collaborative leadership environment
About Christ School:
Founded in 1900, Christ School is an all-boys college preparatory boarding school for 300 students in grades 8 through 12. The school is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and sits on 500 scenic acres, nine miles south of Asheville, North Carolina. The school’s mission is to “produce educated men of good character, prepared for both scholastic achievement in college and productive citizenship in adult society.” We do this through programming and relationships built around our Four Pillars: Leadership, Academic Rigor, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor.
Students come from 14 states and 11 foreign countries to attend Christ School. All world faiths are represented and welcome in our community.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.
Applications including a cover letter and resume should be submitted to Steve Stay, Executive Assistant to the Head of School and Registrar: email@example.com .
To apply for this position, please email your resume with a cover letter to Steve Stay, Registrar & Executive Assistant to the Head of School after completing this survey: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=xPdFYdOkpEKXKL7fvJ_Fzwi9XN3glfxAieXtLsH_9UpUMlNPSkxTVFZTWDBZTVpaWU1RWUJBM1BNRi4u .