Austin, TX United States
The Assistant Head of Upper School for Academics reports to the Head of Upper School and works closely with students, faculty, parents, and other administrators to support the academic needs of students in the Upper School. In consultation with the Head of Upper School and the Associate Head of School, they oversee the academic life of students, support faculty in all matters of teaching and learning, support Department Chairs in matters of curriculum, alignment, instruction, and program development, and maintain the academic calendar and schedule. The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Head of Upper School for Academics are leading the Upper School Department Chairs, designing mission-aligned academic programming and experiences, overseeing aspects of the Advisory Program, and coordinating the Academic and Student Support teams. They are also an integral member of the US Leadership Team, collaborating with the Head of Upper School, Assistant Head of Upper School for Student Life, the Upper School Counselor, the Chaplain, the College Counseling team, and the Athletic Director.
Responsibilities include the following:
Help manage the division’s academic operations and programs.
- Maintain high visibility throughout the Upper School campus to ensure student supervision and safety, including several after-school activities each month.
- Partner with K-12 Director of Health Services, Head of Upper School, and Assistant Head for Student Life in Upper School emergency response protocol, drills, and communication
- Partner with the Head of Upper School in identifying professional development needs and growth opportunities, overseeing academic policies, observing, and supporting, promoting effective communication, maintaining consistent presence and availability, and offering guidance in classroom management.
- Collaborate on pertinent initiatives and concerns with the US Senior Leadership Team —
- Lead and manage Department Chairs under the direction of the Assistant Head of School and in partnership with the Upper School Division Head
- Support/ guide Department Chairs in the adoption, implementation, and/or assessment of academic programs and materials.
- Coordinate and direct the registrar and Flex Block coordinator in matters of student scheduling.
- Lead regular professional development as requested by the Senior Leadership Team.
- Conduct, as part of our professional growth cycle, routine observations of teachers according to a known and transparent framework and provide constructive goals, growth-oriented feedback, and professional development opportunities.
- Analyze data on a regular basis to inform instructional decision-making and planning. Data may include; student feedback analysis, student performance, College Board Exams, NWEA MAP data, and/or other relevant data specific to a division or with broader academic/programmatic implications. Lead the implementation of effective assessment practices, designed to ensure that reported grades are closely aligned with the achievement of defined learning goals.
- Serve on Upper School Hiring Committees, at the request of the HoUS, across disciplines, and collaborate on strategies for faculty retention and onboarding.
- Serve on Calendar Committee
- Serve as lead Upper School Administrator with Assistant Head of Upper School for Student Life when Division Head is off-campus.
- Coordinate annual Handbook reviews related to Academic Policies & Procedures and submit proposed changes to the Assistant Head of School.
- Support Division Head in the organization and delivery of Divisional Meetings
- Provide faculty onboarding support as it pertains to Upper School academic school policies, procedures, and school culture.
Manage Upper School Student Support Services and Wellness Programming.
- Co-Lead Student Support Team with the Assistant Head of Upper School – Student Life, to determine holistic student support plans. The team includes Learning Specialists, School Counselor, and School Chaplain.
- Monitor Academic challenges:
- Approves Official Notes & Monitors Official Notes.
- Surfaces students with Academic challenges to Student Support Team
- Manage list/progression over time.
- Manage delineation and implementation of support plans with Student Support Team, student, their parent(s)/guardian(s), and their teachers: Tiers 1, 2 & 3 Support, Medical Leaves, & Medical Separations, and all relevant internal and external communication.
- Partner with the Learning Resource Coordinator on instructional practices and thresholds related to academic support.
- Partner with Middle School administration to coordinate and align divisional student support policies.
Academic Dean Responsibilities
- Provide professional coaching to faculty in response to challenges, areas of identified growth, and missteps.
- Collaborate with Registrar on Academic Scheduling and 4-Year Planning
- Lead and manage Student-led Conferences.
- Manage schedule anomalies: Exception Petition to Overload courses or APs, Course Withdrawal and/or Course Reduction due to Student Support-Approved factors and pertinent family communication.
- Oversee grade reporting in partnership with the Registrar.
- Coordinate and oversee comment writing and review process.
- Partner with Middle School administration to coordinate and align divisional academic policies.
- Work with the Assistant Head of Upper School – Student Life and Class Deans to ensure smooth transition between divisions for students.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Provide support as needed at the Division by teaching a course/ section (at the request of the Division Head), participating in duty coverage, providing substitute coverage in emergent situations, and serving on standing or special committees.
- Partner with the Assistant Head of Upper School – Student Life and Class Deans in onboarding parents to policies and procedures.
*Can teach one class/elective, supports Advisory Program where needed.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to Michelle Roe, Director of Finance and Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of the community are encouraged to apply.