New Havenh, CT United States
Job Title: Assistant Teacher/Extended Day
Division: Grades 1-3
Employment Status: Full Time
School Year: 2023-2024
St. Thomas’s is a coeducational independent day school serving students from Kindergarten through Grade 6. The School welcomes children of all backgrounds, with the belief that children who learn and grow together develop openness and respect for others.
The Assistant Teacher will work collaboratively with the Head Teacher and the Assistant Head of School to implement the School’s instructional program in accordance with the School’s mission, goals, objectives, and philosophy of learning.
Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education
Experience working in an elementary school setting
Strong personal and interpersonal skills
- Strive to create an atmosphere of belonging so that every member of the community feels accepted, appreciated, and valued.
- Work with the head teacher to create an inviting, safe, and supportive learning environment for all students.
- Differentiate instruction by conducting individual and small group lessons as directed by the head teacher.
- Implement positive classroom management techniques that model appropriate communication skills and conflict resolution strategies.
- Build a positive rapport with students that demonstrates respect, appreciation, and acceptance of all individuals.
- Plan and assist with instruction as needed, including preparing and correcting classwork and homework.
- Supervise the class during transitions, snack, recess, and lunch.
- Support the specials teachers and programs (science, library, technology, music, drama, Spanish, physical education, religious studies, art) by modeling appropriate participation.
- Maintain student and class records throughout the year and support the head teacher in writing and editing report cards.
- Support the head teacher in preparing for back-to-school night and during parent conferences, attending as requested by the head teacher and administration.
- Attend all class field trips and assist with all preparations for field trips, as directed by the Assistant Head of School.
- Assist with class plays and performances.
- Prepare the classroom for the opening and closing of the school year, as well as assist with the maintenance of the overall physical classroom environment.
- Meet with the Head Teacher on a weekly basis to plan and identify individual instructional responsibilities, as well as to review student and curricular needs. These meetings may be scheduled before or after the regularly scheduled school day.
- Appropriately carry out specific assignments including, but not limited to, service learning, advisory programs, assigned supervision, and other areas as determined by the School Head.
- Interact with colleagues in a respectful and collegial manner that fosters a healthy faculty culture.
Characteristics of Professional Excellence
- Strive to live the school mission in word and deed.
- Enthusiastically engage in service to the school and its community.
- Model life-long learning.
- Foster an open and inclusive learning environment.
To be considered for the above-mentioned position, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please generate all documents in MS Word or a converted PDF file. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled.
St. Thomas’s Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.