New York, NY United States
Grace Church School is seeking an inspiring and wise teacher and priest to serve as the school’s full-time chaplain.
Grace Church School is a JK–12, co-ed independent school located on two campuses in downtown New York City. An Episcopal school, welcoming children of all faiths and of none, Grace believes in the inherent, precious dignity of every individual and seeks to provide an outstanding education worthy of our common humanity.
Grace is a school of big ideas. Our structured curriculum promotes academic excellence through a pedagogy of joy: an approach that reflects our belief that stress isn’t the fuel of academic achievement but that joy is, and that students learn best when motivated by delight, wonder, curiosity, and purpose. We work hard to nurture a culture of dignity and belonging, believing that the strength and diversity of the school enhances every aspect of our program, and we seek to foster in each student skills of intellectual excellence and habits of ethical virtue. Grounded in tradition, the school remains ever open to innovation, looking to the best research on the science of learning and the craft of teaching to advance the timeless values and aspirations of our mission.
Grace at a Glance
Enrollment: 783 students
Students of Color: 39.4%
Percentage of Students Receiving Financial Aid: 25%
Student-Faculty Ratio: 7:1
About the Position
The Chaplain of Grace Church School reports to the head of school and carries out a broad set of responsibilities, including:
- Developing and leading weekly divisional chapels in the Early Childhood, Lower School and Middle School and bi-weekly chapels in the High School
- Designing and leading liturgies for annual all-school chapels, including our services for the Opening of School and the start of each trimester, Thanksgiving, Christmas, our observance of the MLK holiday, Commencement, and our closing exercises
- Work with the Head of School and Rector of Grace Church to ensure that the liturgies of the Chapel services follow the best practices of Episcopal schools and are consistent with the values of the school and the church communities.
- Serve as a member of the senior administrative team, attending weekly administrative meetings and occasional meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Work with parents and the PA to help develop a shared understanding of the ways the school’s Episcopal identity shapes how we understand and carry out our mission and program
- Meet with parents, faculty, staff, and students on an as-needed basis.
- Contribute to programming that helps students to develop spiritual maturity and resilience.
- The chaplain teaches classes about the Bible (in the LS and the HS) and other topics of Philosophy and Religion, a department for which they serve as chair.
Additional duties will be assigned according to the skills and interests of the person hired and the needs of the school. They may include coordination of service learning activities, serving as an advisor to a group of students, teaching electives, and teaching in our HS “lab day” program.
- A Master’s or an equivalent advanced degree
- Facility advancing the school’s Episcopal identity while also serving a diverse and religiously pluralistic community
- Wise understanding of children, parents, teachers, and schools
- Candidates who are ordained Episcopal deacons or priests will be strongly preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The expected salary range for this position is $100,000 – $175,000.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life/disability, flexible spending accounts, generous 403(b) contributions with immediate vesting and access to $3100 in professional development funds per year beginning in your second year of employment.
Grace Church School is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter via the employment page of the school’s website