Austin, TX United States
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, a day and boarding school of 690 students (grades 6-12), is seeking a Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO) who will develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan in accordance with the school’s established mission and goals. As a member of the school’s Administrative Team (A Team), the CMCO will report to the Head of School.
St. Stephen’s was the first coeducational Episcopal school in the United States and the first integrated boarding school in the South. The school has a strong, well-established brand throughout the highly competitive Austin marketplace and is nationally recognized among the top U.S. boarding schools. It competes with several independent schools and highly ranked public schools in the local market, and has recently increased marketing efforts for its boarding program throughout Texas, the United States and abroad.
St. Stephen’s is committed to providing strong internal communications for its various constituencies (students, parents, employees, alumni and donors), while increasing awareness and engagement among external audiences through credible, consistent and compelling marketing and communications. The school’s Marketing and Communications Team (Marcom) supports a wide range of internal clients, including the Head of School and the offices of Advancement, Admission, and Equity and Inclusion. The team’s efforts are aligned with the school’s strategic plan, Spark 2023, as well as its founding mission, vision and values. Marcom uses a variety of traditional and digital platforms and tools to accomplish measurable objectives, ranging from printed magazines and brochures, to search engine optimization and Google analytics for the website, social media, e-newsletters, videos, and digital search and banner display for advertising campaigns (in collaboration with media-buy and branding agencies).
- Provide strategic communications counsel and support to the other A Team members, which include the Head of School, the Associate Head of School for Enrollment Management and Financial Aid, and the Director of Advancement.
- Enhance current processes and tools for internal communications with employees, parents and students.
- Produce Head of School messaging for face-to-face, email and video channels.
- Sustain strong relationships with Parent Association leadership and parent volunteers while looking for opportunities to enhance communications with parents.
- Maintain current internal newsletter processes while looking for opportunities to improve audience engagement in this channel.
- Manage a comprehensive and integrated marketing and communications plan―including advertising, direct marketing, social media, public relations and content marketing activities―in support of the school’s strategic priorities, as well as measurable admission and advancement objectives.
- Direct and manage the St. Stephen’s Marcom team (3 FTEs), which includes the Communications Director, Web Content Manager, and Graphic Designer/Multimedia Producer.
- Supervise creation of print and electronic publications, brochures and other collateral.
- Supervise web/digital strategy for sstx.org, MySSES internal portal, and associated social media and web properties.
- Coordinate and manage external marketing, communications and advertising resources, including agency relationships and contract/freelance engagements.
- Fulfill other duties as required to meet St. Stephen’s objectives.
- Demonstrated success as a senior advisor to executive leadership, ideally with members of the C-suite.
- Formidable strategic communications and planning skills.
- A persuasive, respectful personal style.
- Outstanding writing, editing, consulting, and creative skills.
- Thorough understanding of the marketing mix, including digital and print tactics.
- Ability to learn the independent and boarding school sectors, especially how they differ from other sectors.
- Supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field.
- Master’s or other advanced degree.
- Educational industry experience.
- Development/fundraising experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Google Analytics, and the Blackbaud suite of products for fundraising and web content management.
About St. Stephen’s Episcopal School
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School is a coeducational boarding and day school that was founded by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas in 1950. It is a caring, diverse community, inclusive of all faiths and grounded in the Christian tradition, which nurtures moral growth and values the potential and dignity of every human being. St. Stephen’s challenges motivated students to live intelligently, creatively and humanely as contributing members of society. The school develops the whole person within a balanced program of academics, athletics and the arts. Students also participate in a wide variety of clubs and organizations, outdoor education and recreation programs, service learning activities and study abroad opportunities.
In accordance with our founding mission, St. Stephen’s Episcopal School infuses diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in everything we do, from admission policies, curriculum, and professional development to our hiring practices. We seek qualified candidates who are committed to these values and ready to work in community to create a more just society. We celebrate every individual, recognizing that our unique stories, histories, and voices are essential to creating a vibrant living and learning space. As such, we strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and identities to apply to become members of our community.
Equal access to employment, programs, and services is available to all. With respect to its employment practices, St. Stephen’s Episcopal School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation or identity.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and a letter of interest addressing their qualifications for this role at https://st-stephens-episcopal-school.checkwritersrecruit.com/job/475931/chief-marketing-and-communications-officer