Richmond, VA United States
Position Classification: Full-time, 12-month, administrative, salaried exempt
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, with evening and weekend service
as needed for School events.
Summer Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 12 noon, Friday.
Reports to: Director of Development
St. Christopher’s School, the largest all-boys school in Virginia and one of the largest and oldest boys’ schools in the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks a Director of Annual Giving. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director of Annual Giving will build on St. Christopher’s already successful fundraising program to inspire even greater support and participation in Annual Giving. Currently the St. Christopher’s Annual Giving program raises over $2m annually with strong parent and faculty/staff participation and particularly impressive alumni participation, which regularly achieves ~45% giving rate, making St. Christopher’s a leader in alumni participation nationally.
The Director of Annual Giving will work closely with the Director of Alumni and Community Relations and other Development team members to develop effective Annual Giving growth strategies. Candidates must possess the highest ethical standards, excellent organizational and communications skills, a collaborative work style, and a commitment to the mission and values of St. Christopher’s School.
Serving approximately 1,000 boys in Grades JK-12 in Richmond, Virginia, St. Christopher’s School is committed to cultivating a school community that is diverse, inclusive, and welcoming and prides itself on bringing out the best in every boy. Our Episcopal foundation is at the center of what we do, and we care most about developing young men who possess honor and integrity. Our boys benefit from an education and curriculum that is focused on excellence in all forms, including academics, the arts, athletics, and service learning.
- Oversee the St. Christopher’s Annual Giving program
- Create and manage a data-driven multi-year strategy to grow the number of Annual Giving supporters and dollars each year by acquiring, retaining, and upgrading donors to meet targeted Annual Giving goals
- Identify and track giving trends within the community to drive future strategies
- Enhance donor recognition programs, especially our leadership giving society and our loyal donors, ensuring that those programs serve both retention and acquisition
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Alumni and Community Relations to develop and implement a Reunion giving program with clear goals and objectives
- Re-energize the Class and Parent Agent programs
- Collaborate with Development and Communications team members to effectively communicate the Annual Giving case for support and develop a solicitation calendar
- Maintain a portfolio of Annual Giving donors (50-75) with an eye towards increased giving
- Manage St. Christopher’s Day of Giving program, focusing on growth strategy, marketing, and implementation
- Support Alumni & Development team in all initiatives
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Development
Personal and Professional Characteristics:
- A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic
- A commitment to treating all members of the community with respect and consideration.
- Optimism, patience, maturity, and a sense of humor.
- An open and collaborative professional style, characteristic of a team player, with the judgment to know when decisive action is required.
- A clear willingness to take on problems that present themselves, even if they seem outside the job description.
- A shared understanding of both the mission of the School and the work necessary to steward the School’s goodwill.
Qualifications and Key Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Background in creating and executing an annual giving program
- Experience with constituent and volunteer relations, including direct volunteer management
- Demonstrated ability to drive and define and communicate ROI/results from fundraising efforts through reports, publications, and presentations for internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to create basic reports to support departmental/division processes, proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge, RE NXT, and Givecampus.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally (when necessary) and participate in occasional evening and weekend activities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically and ability to handle multiple activities simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- High level of initiative, creativity, flexibility, and motivation.
- Candidates should understand the priorities of St. Christopher’s School and must be able to articulate the case for philanthropic support.
- A clear commitment to diversity, community, and inclusion in school communities, as expressed in the St. Christopher’s Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Candidates interested in pursuing this position should send a cover letter, resume, and reference contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Director of Annual Giving in the subject line.