Bethesda, MD United States
Director of Development
Washington Episcopal School seeks a creative, energetic, organized fundraiser with excellent communication and technology skills to lead all aspects of WES fundraising activities and programs, as well as community-building events. The Director of Development works collaboratively with the Development team, the Head of School, parent volunteers, and Trustees.
- Establish and execute forward-thinking, goal-driven development plans and programs that optimally grow the annual fund, major gifts, grants, capital campaigns, and the annual auction gala.
- Work with the Head of School and the Development Committee to evaluate each year’s giving programs and develop goals and objectives for the following year.
- Oversee all aspects of the development program, including capital campaigns, annual giving, grants, alumni, special events, and database management.
- Maintain and build relationships with all constituencies (parents, students, alumni, trustees, parents of alumni, faculty, donors, and friends of the school).
- Organize, oversee, attend, and in all ways champion and support community-building events, which currently include the annual fall back-to-school party, grandparents and special friends day, the annual auction, a variety of parent association activities, and alumni and past parent events.
- Work closely with the Parents Association on all their community-building and fundraising activities.
- Provide leadership to the development staff and volunteers to carry out the activities of the development office. Manage the development staff.
- Create a strong sense of community through volunteer recruitment and management for development efforts.
- Oversee the processing of all gift income, in conjunction with the business office, for the purpose of providing receipts and thank you letters, as well as the maintaining of giving records of donors to the school.
- Manage all grant-writing efforts.
- Work with the Development team and communications department to create and distribute the annual report and the bi-annual WES magazine.
- Educate potential donors on planned giving, including, but not limited to, estate planning, gifts of securities, and corporate matches.
- Maintain the content of the Development Department pages of the WES website.
- Lead and execute capital campaigns.
- Serve as a member of the school’s Administrative Team, the Parents Association Executive Committee, and the Development Committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School; assist with school projects as needed.
- Prior successful fundraising/development experience.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with families, colleagues, and all external constituent groups.
- Outstanding creativity and flexibility skills.
- Attention to accuracy, confidentiality, details, and deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals and groups.
- Experience with development and auction software and databases.
- Ability to attend events on the weekend and evenings as needed.
- Able to help physically with setting up and breaking down events.
Washington Episcopal School is an independent, co-educational school for students from PK3 through Grade 8. Washington Episcopal School inspires academic and personal excellence within a joyful learning environment to develop students who are kind, confident, and prepared.
WES is committed to a diverse and inclusive community and seeks applications for this position from candidates who will contribute to an environment where all are valued and supported.