Greenville, SC United States
Position Title: Director of Facilities Operations
Reports to: Head of School and Assistant Head for Finance & Operations
The Director of Facilities Operations supervises physical plant operations including utilities, energy management systems, custodial, and safety/security systems in order to provide a safe, healthy, and comfortable environment for students, faculty, and staff at CCES.
The position is responsible for planning, scheduling, communication, facilitation, oversight, and coordination of all preventative maintenance, repairs, improvements, and renovation; new construction and presentation of all buildings and grounds; as well as strategic and daily oversight and leadership of the school’s security and custodial teams.
It is important to note that CCES recently completed the most comprehensive study of its campus in its rich, six-decade history. The goal of the study was to assess what we have done and to craft a thoughtful, intentional, and realistic plan for the future—a plan that would be both achievable and sustainable. The plan covers not only the core seventy two acres upon which we have built experiences since 1971, but also the additional twenty two acres we have added in the past two years. The person selected for this critical role will help school leadership to think strategically about how we can better serve our community both today and tomorrow.
Responsibilities and Duties/ Essential Functions
- Researches new and best practices in the facilities management field and strategizes long-range departmental needs with the senior leadership team and collaborates closely with the Head of School and Senior Leadership Team to develop, implement, and oversee building projects and long-range campus plans.
- Cultivates, manages, and maintains strong, positive relationships with outside contractors and vendors including arranging bids and developing specifications for all contractual work as extension of the maintenance team to cover the technological, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, pest control, generators, fire, life-safety, snow removal, landscaping and construction needs of the school for both ongoing and emergency situations.
- Manages contracted services to ensure compliance with contractual agreements and budgetary restrictions as well as ensuring that work is coordinated among all areas of the School.
- Monitors and stays within approved annual operating and capital budgets, plans physical plant improvements, and monitors maintenance reserves in order to make long-range capital equipment plans.
- Oversees short and long-term annual capital and operating budget development and identifies facilities/maintenance operation area expenses and equipment needs for the school; coordinates the allocation of resources following budget approval.
- Plans for future maintenance needs of buildings, grounds, and equipment to minimize disruptions to the successful operation of the school. Works to prevent deferred maintenance and to avert disruptions to operations.
- Provides leadership for the Emergency Response team affecting school operations to ensure that safety standards and procedures are implemented, communicated, and followed. Works closely with school administration and staff to ensure school safety and security:
- Maintains a full understanding of procedure and implementation of the Emergency Preparedness Manual at all times.
- Organizes and coordinates with Administration, Faculty and Staff on the execution of safety drills which includes, Fire, Active Shooter Drills, etc.
- Oversees the Campus Security Camera System to include its operation, camera positions, maintenance, repair, and system upgrades.
- Maintains inventory, security, and issuance of keys to new employees as well as collection of keys upon termination of employment.
- Ensures that existing safety and security protocols are monitored and updated as needed.
- Supervises all maintenance, custodial, and security staff, providing training, support, assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, addressing concerns and resolving problems. These duties include procurement and the regular care for all buildings, external campus, and parking lots.
- Collaborates with Assistant Head for Finance and Operations on all construction and/or renovation projects throughout campus.
- Collaborates with other departments such as Instructional Technology, Security, Audio/Visual, and Division Heads regarding design definitions for in-house renovation and construction projects. This includes coordination and communication with the department of Strategic Marketing and Communications (SMAC) to ensure consistency, promotion, and preservation of the CCES brand.
- Works closely with the Board of Trustees and Board committees in preparation for and during periodic meetings.
- Utilizes technology to collect and analyze a variety of complex data and information, including utility cost and usage trends; performs statistical analyses; and provides multimodal reports for various constituencies.
- Oversees scheduling and maintenance of the transportation fleet.
- Demonstrates a high level of intercultural competence, an understanding of the diverse identities and cultures of independent school faculty, staff and students, and in developing and supporting inclusive communities.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in both an office environment and an outdoor environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work. Frequent walking, standing, climbing, lifting, stooping, or carrying of equipment and materials may be required. Personnel may be exposed to extreme temperatures, close quarter situations, high and precarious places, moving mechanical parts, and vibrations.
- Higher education degree preferred but not required.
- Five years of professional custodial, grounds, and/or maintenance experience, including three years of supervisory experience with current experience in OAC facility oversight, in facility equipment and systems operations (chiller, steam boilers, hydraulic systems, building controls, electrical, air handlers, plumbing, landscaping), contractor management, and light building repairs.
- Candidates must have a broad knowledge of applicable government, state, and local regulatory agencies standards.
- SC Driver’s License is required.
- Must be able to problem solve and to provide leadership, mentorship, and coaching to ensure ongoing, exceptional service.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to the following by Friday, October 6th, 2023:
Doug Qualls, Assistant Head for Finance and Operations
Christ Church Episcopal School
245 Cavalier Dr. Greenville, SC 29607