Glendale, OH United States
Bethany School Mission
The mission of Bethany School is to be a community where all members can thrive as learners, growing and developing academically, socially, physically, emotionally, and spiritually; where students experience and learn respect, responsibility, and an appreciation for diversity; and where academic excellence is achieved in a Christian environment.
Bethany School seeks a Director of Finance to start July 1, 2023. This full-time, salaried, administrative position reports to the Head of School, serves on the leadership team of the school, and works with the Board of Trustees and its Finance Committee, providing updates on the overall financial status of the school. The Director of Finance will provide leadership, vision, and direction for the school’s business, financial, development, legal, and human resources operations. Compensation includes competitive salary and benefits commensurate with education, training, and experience. Candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID, willing to be vaccinated, or eligible for a medical or religious exemption.
Principles and Practices
- Understand and promote the mission, standards, and policies of the school, and provide leadership in the stewardship and sustainability of the school’s resources.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Work strategically with the Head of School and the Board of Trustees to ensure the development and implementation of appropriate policies for the long-term management of the school.
- Work collaboratively with the operations team of the Society of the Transfiguration, of which Bethany School is a primary ministry, in order to coordinate procedures and service.
- Establish appropriate maintenance procedures and replacement cycles to manage the school’s physical resources in a prudent, ethical, and respectful manner.
- Maintain confidentiality and rights to privacy applicable to individual and institutional records.
- Provide general oversight of finance, accounting, billing, operations, development, and human resources for Bethany School in collaboration with the Society of the Transfiguration.
- Supervise direct reports: Accounting Manager and Business Office Manager.
- Ensure the preparation and dissemination of monthly financial statements and related projections.
- Create and maintain the school’s financial systems and procedures to support the overall success of the school.
- Develop and approve the annual operating budget, oversee accounting functions, financial modeling and analysis, payroll, human resources, risk management, and benefits in collaboration with the Society of the Transfiguration.
- Build multi-year models for operational and capital budgets with clear goals and key performance indicators in partnership with the Head of School and Board of Trustees.
- Maintain accurate and timely financial records.
- Oversee and ensure the successful completion of the annual independent audit. Communicate the results with the Finance Committee and full Board of Trustees.
- In collaboration with the Society of the Transfiguration, ensure that the school’s finance-related policies, as well as the school’s human resource policies and practices, are clearly articulated, consistently applied, and conform to local and state legal reporting requirements.
- Coordinate Annual Fund, Capital Campaign, and restricted gift tracking, including reconciliation with the Development Office and maintenance of pledge receivable schedule.
- Be capable of implementing sound and consistent employment policies and appropriate benefits programs for all facets of school operations in collaboration with the Society of the Transfiguration.
- Be supportive in the implementation and administration of all school compensation, insurance, and benefits programs in conjunction with the Society of the Transfiguration.
- Participate in local, regional, and national associations that offer personal support and professional assistance and development. Maintain appropriate professional memberships and represent the school at related meetings and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualities and Qualifications
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proactive, creative, ethical systems thinker and decision-maker
- Positive, collaborative colleague with active listening skills, a sense of humor, and genuine humility
- High level of integrity and ability to maintain the confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information
- Love of children in grades K-8 and possess a willingness to participate fully in the life of the School
- Advanced communication, organization, and presentation skills
- Proficient knowledge of computer software and systems needed to work most efficiently, e.g. Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Blackbaud, etc.
- 4-year degree in business, accounting, finance, or other related area (required)
- Advanced degree/licensure/certification in business, accounting, finance, or other related area, e.g. CPA, MBA (preferred)
- 5+ years experience in business, accounting, or finance (preferred)
- School/non-profit finance experience (preferred)
- Experience in human resource management, employee benefits (including pension plans), and payroll procedures (preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Salary Range: 75-85K. Comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including optional medical and dental plans; non-contributory life and disability insurance; 403(b) plan.
Qualified candidates should submit a PDF of the following documents- employment application, cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bethany School has been a beacon of hope and a sanctuary for children and families for almost 125 years. The school was founded in 1898 by the Sisters of the Transﬁguration, a religious order of Episcopal women, and continues to serve the original mission of their ministry to this day. Bethany’s traditions of academic excellence and spiritual growth make it a place where curious learners thrive. The spirit of kindness, simplicity, and joy, stated in the school’s motto, abounds.
Bethany is Ohio’s only Episcopal school, a private, co-ed, K-8, small school of about 175 students, located in the historic Village of Glendale, Ohio. The Bethany community lays a firm spiritual and academic foundation for children to discover their passion, develop a sense of humanity, and live purposeful lives of service. The school has just completed the construction of 2 LEED Platinum Certified academic buildings, along with the installation of geo-exchange wells, natural play landscapes using site-recycled hardwood, and solar panels on a beautiful 23-acre campus. Bethany is poised for continued growth and development.