Altadena, CA United States
Saint Mark’s School is an independent, Episcopal coeducational day school in Altadena, California. Founded in 1960, the school serves the needs of approximately 300 preschool through sixth grade students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
Saint Mark’s School is seeking an Elementary Co-Teacher to join a team-oriented, inclusive, and professional learning community.
The Elementary Co-Teacher, in conjunction with the grade level Lead Teachers, will be responsible for maintaining a positive and engaging learning environment in their homeroom. The successful candidate will collaborate with the grade level Lead Teachers and Enrichment Teachers, in partnership with the Director of Teaching and Learning, to build an engaging curriculum that supports the mission, philosophy, and values of the School.
The Elementary Co-Teacher will be an integral part of the grade level teaching team, and duties will include teaching, monitoring for understanding in whole-group situations, working with students in small groups, supervising students, or enhancing instruction through one-on-one conferencing with students.
Approaching the work with an anti-bias lens, qualified candidates should demonstrate a passion for teaching, a growth mindset, flexibility, and a commitment to ongoing professional development, along with strong communication and organization skills. The Elementary Co-Teacher should also have the ability to work as part of a team, the skills to engage and inspire students, and the potential and willingness to contribute beyond the classroom.
The ideal candidate will be committed to creating an inclusive classroom community, differentiating instruction, and engaging children in authentic learning experiences that support, challenge, and build confidence.
The Elementary Co-Teacher is supervised directly by the Director of Teaching and Learning and is evaluated by the Assistant Head of School.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acts in a manner corresponding to the requirements of the Saint Mark’s Employee Handbook and the mission of the School.
- Collaborates with the grade level lead teachers to plan and implement appropriate curriculum, assessments, and activities designed to promote academic, social, and emotional growth for children, including through distance learning as needed.
- In collaboration with the grade level lead teachers, actively seeks to design an engaging learning environment where children can develop their potential and experience growth, regularly assessing and evaluating the curriculum and methods of instruction to best meet the needs of students and the School.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and equity, fostering a culturally responsive and inclusive classroom and actively contributing to a healthy, equitable environment for all members of the community.
- Works to provide for the learning needs of individual children, working collaboratively with the grade level team, the Director of Teaching and Learning, and Student Support Team, as necessary, to reach a range of learners within the classroom.
- Collaborates with the grade level lead teachers in preparing, administrating, and grading meaningful assignments and varied forms of assessments with the aim of evaluating and communicating the progress of the students.
- Communicates effectively with children, parents, and colleagues in a professional and positive manner. In collaboration with the grade level lead teachers, communicates student progress clearly and accurately in verbal and written form, including report cards, emails, parent conferences, and meetings.
- Demonstrates professionalism through punctuality, collaboration, organization, participation in meetings, and staff development opportunities. Maintains professional behavior, including appropriate dress, good judgment, integrity, diplomacy, confidentiality, and a respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Participates enthusiastically in Admissions Open House and other school events in support of and as requested by the School.
- Collaborates with the grade level lead teachers to plan and supervise field trips and classroom activities to extend student learning.
- Demonstrates reflective practice and a growth mindset, setting annual goals and keeping current in contemporary and developmentally appropriate pedagogical thinking, strategies, and techniques through reading of professional journals and attendance at professional conferences, workshops, and courses.
- Demonstrates a commitment to building and sustaining a collaborative professional learning community, serving on committees, engaging in professional group work, and contributing to a positive school climate.
- Ensures the health and safety of children through visual supervision and by appropriately responding to injuries as well as unexpected circumstances.
- Integrates meaningful and appropriate use of technology within the curriculum and collaborates with the grade level team to maintain weekly communication with families as required by the School.
- Follows guidelines of Emergency Preparedness Plan and takes responsibility for students’ safety in an emergency situation or drill.
- Completes required training each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, etc.)
- Participates in school life and other campus activities as a full and active member of the Saint Mark’s community, including assisting with duties (recess/lunch, carline, etc.), as needed and assigned, and attending school dances, basketball games, Fall Fest, etc. in support of the students and school.
- Exhibits willingness to take on other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and enrollment in/completion of a teacher credential program
- Experience working with elementary-aged children
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Responsive Classroom experience or a willingness to train
- Classroom management skills necessary to ensure a safe, productive, and positive environment
- Understanding of the developmental needs of elementary-aged students
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Willingness to try new things and open to constructive feedback
- Creative, energetic, patient, resourceful, flexible, innovative, and positive
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional training
Physical Requirements: Job includes some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; hearing, speaking, observing, and significant fine finger dexterity. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Generally, the job requires 15% sitting, 40% walking, and 45% standing and the ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard-free environment, and in a clean atmosphere.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Rebecca Russell, Director of Teaching and Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org.