Altadena, CA United States
Saint Mark’s School is an independent, Episcopal coeducational day school in Altadena, California. Founded in 1960, the school serves the needs of approximately 300 preschool through sixth grade students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
We are seeking an energetic, collaborative third grade teacher who brings creativity and innovation to their teaching practice and pedagogy. The Elementary Lead Teacher will be responsible for planning and implementing curriculum designed to promote academic and social emotional growth for third grade students. The ideal candidate will be committed to creating an inclusive classroom community, differentiating instruction, and engaging children in authentic learning experiences that support, challenge, and build confidence.
Approaching the work with an anti-bias lens, qualified candidates should demonstrate a passion for teaching, a growth mindset, flexibility, and a commitment to ongoing professional development, along with strong communication and organization skills. Candidates should also have the ability to work as part of a team, the skills to engage and inspire students, and the potential and willingness to contribute beyond the classroom.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports directly to the Assistant Head of School.
Full time; Exempt status
September 20, 2022
October 17, 2022
- Bachelor’s degree in education and a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Responsive Classroom experience or willingness to train
- Singapore Math experience or willingness to train
- Writer’s/Reader’s Workshop experience or willingness to train
- At least 2 years teaching experience at the elementary school level
Preferred Qualities and Skills:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Must love working with children and demonstrate enthusiasm for supporting students in pursuing their passions, talents, and interests
- Creative, energetic, patient, resourceful, flexible, innovative, and positive
- Willingness to try new things
- Open to constructive feedback
- Project-based teaching practices
- Experience with differentiated instruction
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional training in diversity, equity, and inclusion
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts in a manner corresponding to the requirements of the Saint Mark’s Employee Handbook and the mission of the School.
- Plans and implements appropriate curriculum, assessments, and activities designed to promote academic, social and emotional growth for children, including through distance learning as needed.
- Actively seeks to design an engaging learning environment where children can develop their potential and experience growth, regularly assessing and updating the curriculum and methods of instruction to best meet the needs of students and the School.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and equity, fostering a culturally responsive and inclusive classroom and actively contributing to a healthy, equitable environment for all members of the community.
- Identifies and provides for the learning needs of individual children, working collaboratively with the Director of Teaching and Learning and Student Support Team, to reach a range of learners within the classroom.
- Prepares, administers, and grades meaningful assignments and varied forms of assessments with the aim of evaluating and communicating the progress of the students.
- Communicates effectively with children, parents, and colleagues in a professional
and positive manner. Communicates student progress clearly and accurately in verbal and written form, including report cards, emails, parent conferences, and meetings.
- Demonstrates professionalism through punctuality, collaboration, organization, participation in meetings and staff development opportunities. Maintains professional behavior including good judgment, integrity, diplomacy, confidentiality, and a respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Participates enthusiastically in Admissions Open House and other school events in support of and as requested by the School.
- Plans and supervises field trips and classroom activities to extend student learning.
- Demonstrates reflective practice and a growth mindset, setting annual goals and keeping current in contemporary and developmentally appropriate pedagogical thinking, strategies, and techniques through reading of professional journals and attendance at professional conferences, workshops, and courses.
- Demonstrates a commitment to building and sustaining a collaborative professional learning community, serving on committees, engaging in professional group work, and contributing to a positive school climate.
- Supervises and mentors a co-teacher or associate teacher, working collaboratively to meet the needs of the students. Serves as a role model and actively supports the growth and development of the intern/associate.
- Ensures the health and safety of children through visual supervision and by appropriately responding to injuries as well as unexpected circumstances.
- Integrates meaningful and appropriate use of technology within the curriculum, and maintains weekly communication with families as required by the School.
- Follows guidelines of Emergency Preparedness Plan and takes responsibility for
students’ safety in an emergency situation or drill.
- Completes required training each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, etc.)
- Participates in school life and other campus activities as a full and active member of the Saint Mark’s community, including assisting with duties (recess/lunch, carline, etc.) as needed and assigned, and attending school dances, basketball games, Fall Fest, etc. in support of the students and School.
- Exhibits willingness to take on other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements: Job includes some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; hearing, speaking, observing, and significant fine finger dexterity. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Generally, the job requires 15% sitting, 40% walking, and 45% standing and the ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard-free environment, and in a clean atmosphere.
Salary: As per pay scale
Benefits: A full benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage and a TIAA/CREF retirement plan.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Kelly Mancuso, Assistant Head of School.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Kelly Mancuso, Assistant Head of School, Kellym@saint-marks.org.