Tappahannock, VA United States
St. Margaret’s School is seeking an English teacher for the 2021 – 2022 academic year. In addition to inspiring students through the instruction of English literature and language, the ideal candidate may have a background in other disciplines within the humanities as well.
- Teaching 4-5 sections of varying levels of English literature and language.
- Acting as an adviser to a small group of students.
- Acting as a member of a class sponsor team.
- Supporting co-curricular efforts including Days of Service and Wellness programming with attendance and enthusiasm.
- Embracing and participating in River Program outdoor activities with class sponsor team.
- Acting as a residential faculty member including 1 night weekly of residential hall duty and 7-8 weekends per school year of weekend duty.
- Coaching or sponsoring 2 trimesters of an after school activity or sport.
- Fostering the Episcopal identity of the school by attending Chapel twice weekly with the community.
- Engaging in departmental, cross-disciplinary, and whole faculty efforts to enrich and expand the curriculum and the development of St. Margaret’s students.
- Fostering a boarding school mentality of teamwork and belonging.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English or a related field with an advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in an independent school setting.
- A demonstrated desire for continual professional growth.
- An understanding of contemporary best practices for the instruction of English literature and language.
- A willingness to learn best methods for teaching in an all-girls environment.
- An ability to communicate thoughtfully with students, colleagues, parents, and various community members.
- An ability to teach effectively in block periods, including appropriate use of blended learning and differentiation.
- A desire to contribute to all areas of school life, including athletics and co-curricular programming.
- A willingness to uphold the mission of the school.
St. Margaret’s School provides a competitive salary and benefits package that may include campus housing. All meals are provided when school is in session.
St. Margaret’s School is an all-girls school located on the banks of the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The mission of St. Margaret’s is to provide a learning environment where girls know they belong, are challenged and supported to believe in themselves, and prepared to become their best. We inspire girls to reach their full potential and make a better world.
St. Margaret’s is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin in the administration of its hiring practices.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume “Attention: English Faculty Position” to Tracie Mothershead at firstname.lastname@example.org.