La Jolla, CA United States
Under the supervision of Bishop’s Event Manager and Campus Scheduler, the event planner is responsible for providing event support to the entire campus community, contracts preparation, compliance and costing, maintaining the School’s event calendar, as well as clerical and administrative support as directed by the event manager and campus scheduler. This position collaborates with internal departments as well as outside vendors in planning, coordinating and supervising the details of events and meetings hosted on The Bishop’s School campus, properties and other offsite locations including the preparation, setup and take-down of necessary facilities, furniture, equipment and catering needs. This position collaborates with various departments to schedule, staff and execute event and meeting requirements.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (2) years of related experience in event planning preferably in an educational institution. Demonstrated commitment and competency in diversity, equity and inclusion. Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, administrators and the community. Knowledge of basic accounting practices and office procedures is required. Previous supervisory experience including knowledge of state and federal employment laws is required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational, analytical, planning and project management skills;
- Effective oral and written communication skills.;
- Solid interpersonal, customer service and negotiation skills;
- Ability to tactfully problem solve and provide acceptable solutions to various constituents;
- Ability to exercise initiative and utilize available resources to efficiently complete work assignments;
- Ability to lead, motivate and positively manage team personnel;
- Ability to interact and collaborate with administrators, faculty, staff, parents, students, alumni, vendors and other school constituents;
- Ability to exercise good judgment in making recommendations and decisions regarding the appropriateness of details and elements for any specific event;
- Ability to manage numerous detailed tasks, anticipate and meet deadlines, use time effectively, analyze options and problem-solve independently as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with constantly changing deadlines and priorities, and frequent interruptions;
- Keen focus on details, accuracy and follow-through;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, scheduling and database applications and other job-related software;
- Ability to support the School’s mission and values as a school founded in the Episcopal tradition irrespective of own religious orientation;
- Flexibility with the special needs associated with an academic calendar and schedule which may necessitate, in addition to regular business hours, availability for work during after-hours events;
- Ability to attend and supervise virtually all events to provide direction to outside vendors, staff and provide trouble-shooting and labor if needed whether during or outside of the School’s regularly scheduled day;
- Ability to remain professional and composed under deadline pressure while handling a multitude of duties and situations simultaneously, and respond with appropriate judgment;
- Ability to handle sensitive information and situations discreetly and adhere to professional standards of integrity and confidentiality.
Essential Functions and Specific Duties:
- Assist end users with an online calendar platform (currently FMX) for scheduling campus event reservations.
- Review requests from various constituents for campus use daily and respond to requestors in a timely manner in order to determine/confirm details and specific needs.
- Assist with facilities use rentals and agreements
- Act as primary backup to event manager.
- Evaluate the need for staffing of assigned events, and provide clear instructions and up-to-date information to kitchen, security, gardening, maintenance and housekeeping departments to assure facilities are prepared per event request.
- Review event setup and assist with setup when necessary, schedule additional staffing as needed, and communicate costs necessary for the successful implementation of the event.
- Prepare cost estimates and contracts, perform research on facility rental rates, review vendors’ and outside clients’ insurance certificates, obtain receipts and coordinate invoicing with Bishop’s Business Office for use of facilities when appropriate.
- Provide clerical and administrative support for other departments and as directed by the event manager and campus scheduler or assistant director of facilities including telephone support, data entry and other office duties.
- Perform other duties as directed by the event manager and campus scheduler.
- Uphold the School’s Core Values.
- Demonstrate professionalism, tact and an unwavering positive attitude.
- Stay up to date on industry standards, trends, and developments.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule and required break and meal periods.
- Comply with School’s reporting policies and procedures.
- Perform, with a team approach, other duties as assigned.
The Bishop’s School is an equal opportunity employer. We are a diverse community of professionals that broadly reflects the people of the San Diego area and the United States at large. We aim to align our hiring process with our mission and institutional goals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion or religious practices, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, ability status, military status, unemployment status or any other category protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. The Bishop’s School takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance all qualified candidates.
Please apply here.