Richmond, VA United States
The grade-level teacher (K-5) is responsible for maintaining a homeroom of 16 students and teaching students at an independent, extended day (7:45 am – 4:15 pm), extended year school in Richmond, Virginia. This is a full-time position, effective August 1, 2022.
St. Andrew’s School is an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
St. Andrew’s School (SAS) is a tuition-free school focused on the whole child. We are committed to changing educational systems through equity, access, and relationships. SAS is an independent, extended day and extended year K-5 elementary school. It has been in continuous operation for 127 years. There are 16 students per grade (96 students in total). Families, staff, and volunteers nurture the strengths of each student through the six fundamentals of the whole child approach: academics, family engagement, graduate support, social and emotional learning, visual and performing arts, and wellness and nutrition
St. Andrew’s instructional staff are completely committed to growth and relationships. This means that every day they:
– Center students in all actions and decision-making.
– Actively and intentionally build relationships with students.
– Nurture their partnership with families.
– Are committed to implementing research-based practices.
– Are committed to ongoing professional growth.
– Understand the role of individual accountability in advancing organizational goals.
– Actively accept differences across the organization.
– Work intentionally and positively with teammates to advance the greater good.
– Teach grade-level (specific openings are to be determined) grade subjects in the core areas of English language arts, math, science, and social studies.
– Design and implement rigorous, relevant and responsive lessons, based on formal and informal assessment data and grade-level essential learnings.
– Develop and maintain resources appropriate to the curriculum, the learners, and the instructional strategies of the school community.
– Support students’ social-emotional development through collaborative guidance lessons, school-wide practices and language, and the implementation of the Responsive Classroom framework.
– Communicate regularly, formally and informally, with families and colleagues about student growth and performance.
– Support school-wide events before, during, and after the school day.
– Collaborate with all SAS colleagues.
Minimum Education/ Prior Experience/ Qualifications Required
– Bachelor’s degree with strong academic record.
– Experience working with elementary grade children.
– A passion and joy for working with young people; flexibility; patience and enthusiasm for learning.
– Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks is required.
– Going up and down stairs multiple times a day (basement through third floor).
– Ability to supervise outdoor activities, such as recess etc.
Salary range : $45,000 – $60,000
Additional Salary Information: Generous benefits package include: paid time off, parental leave, floating holiday, 401k with employer contribution, health, and dental.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org