Memphis, TN United States
St. Mary’s Episcopal School seeks a full-time chaplain beginning October 2021.
Our Mission: The mission of St. Mary’s Episcopal School is to provide a superior educational experience for girls which will encourage and enable each student to reach her individual potential.
Job Summary: The head chaplain plays the lead role in defining, preserving, and promoting the School’s Episcopal identity to all constituencies. The head chaplain is a community builder and works across divisions and departments coordinating the Chapel programs and religious education. The chaplain also serves in the Upper School. This includes overseeing MOSAIC (student affinity groups) and teaching certain classes. In addition, the head chaplain provides pastoral care to the full breadth and diversity of students, families, and employees. This is a senior leadership position who serves as a resource and standard bearer for Episcopal Identity. The head chaplain reports directly to the head of school.
This is a full-time, exempt, year-round, administrator position that comes with a competitive salary and benefits package including but not limited to paid time off, health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with generous employer match, tuition remission for up to one admissions eligible children, and professional development opportunities.
Chapel and Religious Education Program
- With the assistant chaplains, oversee and facilitate a meaningful, inclusive and age-appropriate 2 years old-12 chapel program.
- Plan, facilitate and lead Upper and Middle School weekly chapel.
- Oversee, support, and be involved as needed in the chapel program for all four divisions.
- Plan (with the chaplain team) all-school worship events throughout the year.
- Provide (with the chaplain team) worship opportunities to the school community, including employees and families.
- Collaborate with the Belonging Group on the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the St. Mary’s community.
- Promote and encourage the spiritual well-being of the community.
- Work with chaplains, the director of belonging, and division heads on building community and a sense of belonging for families.
- Minister to the needs of students, employees, and families as opportunities present themselves.
- Maintain a visible presence in the all-school community.
- Coordinate care of students with the assistant chaplains and support teams, with a particular focus on the Upper and Middle Schools.
- Be a resource to assistant chaplains regarding pastoral care issues.
- Promote chaplains’ personal and professional growth and development.
- Serve in a strategic capacity on the Administrative Team.
- Serve as chair of the Belonging Group helping to further the School’s Strategic Plan and Belonging initiatives.
- Serve on the Board of Trustees Belonging Task Force.
- Recruit, orient, support, evaluate, and supervise the chaplaincy team.
- Support the Admissions and Philanthropy Offices in maintaining a clear and accurate understanding of the Episcopal identity in service of the mission of the school.
- Work with the executive assistant to the head of school and the associate head in creating and implementing new employee orientation each fall.
- Maintain and nurture the cordial relationship between the school and the Church of the Holy Communion.
- Maintain an active presence in the National Association of Episcopal Schools.
- Oversee the annual Chaplaincy budget.
- Oversee religion curriculum and supervise religion department, 2 year-olds through 12th grade.
- Share in the teaching of religion courses.
- Create opportunities for parent education concerning spiritual development and life issues.
- Status as an ordained Episcopal priest, or an ordained deacon with intention of priesthood.
- BA/BS or equivalent in an appropriate field.
- Experience working in an Episcopal school (five years preferred).
- Cultural competence and ability to work with students, families, colleagues of diverse backgrounds, and identities.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion for all people.
- Digital literacy; intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite, Google Docs/Sheets, and other web-based applications; database and videoconferencing experience, as appropriate to job duties; flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt as digital tools evolve.
- Knowledge of current best practices in school chaplaincy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sensitivity in dealing with difficult situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage confidential information in compliance with the law and best practice.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work well on teams.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
- Ability to sit at computer and keyboard for moderate periods.
- Mobility sufficient to move about the campus, to include climbing stairs.
- Sight and hearing adequate to perform the duties of the job and ability to communicate clearly.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary and benefits
St. Mary’s Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee, is an independent college-preparatory school for girls two-years-old through grade 12. St. Mary’s equips each girl to be collaborative, creative, and courageous so that she will seize the opportunities in the changing world and thrive in her generation. St. Mary’s is committed to academic excellence, offering a classic liberal arts curriculum in conjunction with strong science and math programs. Students also enjoy a thriving performing and fine arts program, work with the latest technology, and participate in a multitude of extracurricular activities and community service opportunities. Founded in 1847, the school now employs over 170 faculty and staff members who serve 825 girls from 36 zip codes with a 22% ethnic and racial diversity.
St. Mary’s is a destination school for educators, where members of our faculty and staff work in close collaboration with one another in a highly collegial atmosphere. As a community, we embrace professional development and use it as a tool to support a vibrant growth mindset. St. Mary’s offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including health insurance, a matching 403(b) plan, tuition remission, and more.
Download and complete an application.
Employment at St. Mary’s Episcopal School is contingent upon successful completion of a background, fingerprint, and reference check.
St. Mary’s does not discriminate in its hiring on the basis of age, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, political opinion, marital status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable state and federal law.
You may email your application to Emily Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org or send by mail to the following address:
Head of School
℅ Emily Byrd
St. Mary’s Episcopal School
60 Perkins Extended
Memphis, TN 38117