New York, NY United States
Grace Church School’s mission of academic excellence, ethical values and service, and inclusive community anchors our program and informs our pedagogy and curriculum, preparing our students to lead meaningful and productive lives. The school nurtures and educates the whole child, understanding that our humanity comprises mind, body, heart, and spirit. We celebrate our differences, respect our diversity, and embrace our shared human experience.
About the position
Grace Church School seeks a Third Grade Head Teacher to begin in August 2021.
- Cultivate a warm and inviting classroom community that promotes a positive and productive learning environment
- Develop, plan, and teach math, social studies, writer’s workshop, and reading lessons. (Experience teaching Bridges Math preferred.)
- Differentiate instruction to support group and individual learning, providing extra support and enrichment as needed
- Implement classroom management strategies to monitor student behavior
- Collaborate with grade-level team members to enhance the curriculum
- Address social justice, diversity, equity, and anti-bias education in the curriculum
- Demonstrate competence in antiracist pedagogy
- Utilize technology where appropriate when teaching and planning lessons
- Plan field trips to enhance the curriculum
- Collaborate with specialty teachers, as well as math and reading specialists, to plan and integrate various units across the curriculum
- Meet with grade-level team members and the Head of Lower School on a weekly basis
- Identify and respond to individual student’s academic and social-emotional needs in collaboration with the Head of Lower School and JK–4 Counselor
- Monitor student progress to determine the effectiveness of interventions
- Maintain accurate, detailed records of student progress, parent communication, and lessons
- Communicate effectively with parents on a regular basis through meetings, phone calls, emails, parent teacher conferences, and report cards
- Perform assigned, ongoing scheduled responsibilities with care (recess duty, lunch duty, dismissal, etc.)
- Attend and participate actively in division and whole school faculty meetings
- Guide, train, mentor and support Third Grade Associate Teachers
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of two years experience teaching elementary school children
- Interested internal candidates should send a résumé and cover letter through the employment page of the school website.
Grace is an equal opportunity employer.
Our Commitment to Antiracism, Equity, and Belonging:
Grace Church School seeks to provide its students with an outstanding education and with the desire to use it to make the world a better place. Every facet of our work is enhanced by the diversity and strength of our community. We believe that equity and inclusion are not only hallmarks of a just society, but also virtues essential to sound learning. And so, Grace seeks to recognize and honor the unique gifts of its students, families, faculty, and staff—and the cultures, beliefs, values, and experiences that have shaped them—striving always to cultivate mutual understanding, humility, respect, and kindness.
But inclusion is not enough and equity is an impossibility if we cannot name, acknowledge, and oppose the forces of racism and all forms of bias, hate, and fear that exist in our society and that seek to diminish so many in our midst. Knowing this, we commit ourselves to the work of antiracism and to the cause of justice: that all students may find in Grace a home, may learn from Grace their precious worth, and may hear from Grace a call to serve the common good and the dignity of humanity.