Exton, PA United States
Position Available: Humanities Instructor
Start Date: 2023-2024 School Year
FLSA Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
THE CHURCH FARM SCHOOL
1001 E. Lincoln Highway
Exton, PA 19341
The Church Farm School is an independent boarding and day school for boys in grades 9-12 in the Episcopal tradition. Founded in 1918 and located in Exton, PA, Church Farm School prepares a diverse group of boys with academic ability and good character to lead productive and fulfilling lives by making a college preparatory education financially accessible. Additional information about CFS can be found at www.gocfs.net.
CFS is seeking an enthusiastic individual to serve as a full-time faculty member in the Humanities Department beginning in August 2023 to teach a combination of literature-based courses, including senior electives. This is a full-time faculty position and requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and some teaching experience; a master’s degree is preferred. All CFS faculty share responsibilities in the academic, athletic, residential and co-curricular life of the school. Full-time faculty teach four class sections, advise and have evening affiliate duties in the dormitories. Individuals who will enhance our community’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
All candidates must be able to nurture the development of students’ critical thinking and analytic skills, while also helping them to respond creatively to the world around them.
The ideal candidate will join a collaborative Humanities department, share the joy of teaching in an all-male, culturally diverse, independent college preparatory boarding school, and will have an understanding and sensitivity to DEI matters as well as possessing cross-cultural competency skills.
Specific responsibilities include teaching a combination of courses in literature and working with those in the department who are teaching complementary courses to create a true interdisciplinary program. The successful candidate will have a degree in literature or American studies and possess broad knowledge of and experience with high school humanities curriculum.
All candidates should be facile in the integration of technology in instruction. As Church Farm School continues to develop teaching and learning initiatives post-Covid, the school seeks candidates who will make meaningful contributions to the integration of humanities in the curriculum.
Additional responsibilities include attending faculty meetings, professional development opportunities and serving as an advisor to a group of students, as well as an affiliate in one of the dormitories (affiliate duty consists of helping out in a dorm once a week during evening study hours and assisting in weekend activities four to six times in the course of the school year).
- Demonstrate a passion for reading and teaching literature and writing
- Demonstrate a willingness to support the school’s mission through time, dedication, personal example, actions and attitude
- Possess comfort and experience with a broad range of literature from different genres
- Provide effective and innovative instruction in our foundational and elective humanities courses
- Maintain effective classroom management and execute effective instructional plans
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with using technology in the delivery of curriculum and instruction
- Display experience with developing and delivering 21st century teaching/learning methodologies
- Possess an interdisciplinary mindset and a demonstrated ability to partner with colleagues
- Be willing to inspire, empower and work with students at all levels, i.e., understand and welcome the complexity of teaching a dynamic and diverse group of adolescent boys
- Embrace enthusiastically the unique opportunities presented by a boarding school environment
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful, professional relationships with students, families and members of the CFS community
- Perform other duties as assigned
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Church Farm School offers competitive salaries, school housing or a housing stipend (when school housing is not available), a generous benefits package including retirement plan and medical insurance. The school is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Church Farm School welcomes and celebrates diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Apply by letter to the address above (Attn: Assistant Head of School) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include by separate attachments: cover letter indicating passion for the position; resume or curriculum vitae of qualifications and experiences; and names and contact information for three professional references. Please enter the position in the subject line of the email.