Christchurch, VA United States
Christchurch School is a co-ed Episcopal boarding and day school serving grades 9—12. Founded in 1921, Christchurch is located on a 125-acre waterfront campus on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The school’s Mission is to inspire and guide each student’s unique journey to self-confidence, purpose, and identity within a caring, structured community, where they discover their infinite value and develop the skills to become compassionate, successful, and engaged global citizens.
Position Overview. Christchurch School seeks a Humanities Teacher. This is an opportunity for an educator to join a department engaged in building a curriculum around the competencies or skills that liberal arts disciplines have traditionally taught, such as English, history, and theology. This is all done within the broader context of a school that prioritizes relationships, the use of place, and local resources to make learning relevant for a wide range of students. We value lessons that connect to real-world topics, and we provide teachers with materials and support for growing their approach to student-centered learning within the broader departmental framework.
Who you are: A person who fosters an inclusive workplace built on equitable policies and procedures. You are also able to engage a diverse team of co-workers and students.
Requirements and Qualifications.
- Qualified candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree in Humanities or a related field such as English or history. Formal education training and teaching experience are desirable, as is prior coaching experience. Master’s degrees are preferred.
- The person in this position will teach a normal course load of four classes.
- Candidates should be realistic and excited about the challenges and rewards of teaching and living in a boarding school. In particular, this position is also expected to coach two out of three seasons, act as an advisory to a student advisory group, and do evening and weekend duty on a rotating basis.
- Candidates should be realistic and excited about working with students who have a wide variety of learning styles and ability levels.
- Ability to work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods
- Ability to be mobile around campus and buildings
- Fast-paced, small boarding and day school
- Some travel required
Equal Employment Opportunity: The School is an equal opportunity employer. The School provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, age, disability, genetic information or any other factor prohibited by applicable law. All aspects of personnel management – including hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment, layoff, discipline, termination, compensation, benefits, training and working conditions – will be administered in accordance with this policy. Each employee is expected to do their part to maintain a working environment free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Conditional Offers: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law.
Compensation & Benefits: Christchurch School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, professional development, and networking opportunities.
Please submit an electronic resume and a letter of interest directly to Wesley M. Charlton, Associate Head of School, at email@example.com.