Houston, TX United States
At St. Mark’s, the Kindergarten Teaching Assistant is responsible for providing support to the instructional program under the direction of the teacher, with specific responsibility for performing general clerical tasks, supervising students, and performing other duties for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the classroom.
St. Mark’s Kindergarten Teaching Assistant will: (Demeanor)
- Receive students and parents as well as faculty, staff, and administration in a friendly, courteous manner, and be sensitive to how her/his demeanor is reflective of the School
- Adapt accordingly to circumstances that arise
- Communicate issues, questions, and circumstances to the Teacher in a timely and professional manner
- Guide and supervise the classroom along with the teacher and at times, when the teacher is out of the room.
- Reinforce lessons presented by teachers by working one-to-one with students or in small groups
- Perform general clerical tasks such as making copies, filing, answering phone, and distributing information to students.
- Assist in creating an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Prepare needed materials and supplies.
- Help with general housekeeping and kitchen tasks
- Maintain technology skills in keeping with the vision of the school
- Supervise play areas, the classroom, the bathrooms and dismissal
- Assist students with toileting and personal hygiene
- Assist students with snack and lunch
- Follow directions given by teacher or Head of Lower School
- Maintain appropriate classroom supervision for young children, guiding and redirecting their behavior as needed
- Help teachers prepare for lessons by getting materials ready or setting up equipment
- Participate in school meetings and in-service activities
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings, and other professional activities
- Work directly with the faculty on instruction and planning
- Participate in and/or support student and parent activities designed to involve the faculty and staff
- Escort students to ancillary classes
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Teacher or Head of Lower School
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works in a sometimes highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; to bend, stoop, and reach overhead
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled classroom environment
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold
About St. Mark’s Episcopal School:
The community of St. Mark’s Episcopal School celebrates the uniqueness of each child. We are stewards of our students’ intellectual curiosity, faith, and passion for discovery. We cultivate joy, playfulness, and growth in a child-centered environment.
Located in the West University Place neighborhood of Houston, St. Mark’s serves 485 students from two-year-olds through 8th grade. St. Mark’s is an engaging community of learners where the school partners with its families in preparing each student for the path that lies ahead through a stimulating, whole-child school experience. Through offerings in athletics, performing and visual arts, technology, Spanish, and a robust curriculum, St. Mark’s prepares its graduates for the many high school options Houston offers, and successfully places its students in high schools which best fit each.
St. Mark’s is an Episcopal school, and as part of the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church parish, is known as a community environment and second home to over 350 families. The school is committed to its positive relationship with families, believing strongly in the power of a fully engaged dynamic between school and home. As a place where children are known, teachers understand what it means to meet children where they are, which plays a crucial role in fostering each child’s spirit.
Interested candidates can apply by completing our online application.
Please apply through our website: https://www.stmes.org/about/careers
Any questions? Contact Mayra Cantu at email@example.com