Houston, TX United States
St. Mark’s Lead Custodian is an important member of the Facilities team at St. Mark’s Episcopal School. While this position encompasses many different duties, its primary function is to help lead a team of Custodians that provide day-to-day custodial care to the school and church buildings.
Work Type: Full-time 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year, with occasional unscheduled overtime on demand.
Work Schedule: Varies dependent on school and church events. Availability on weekends, evenings, and holidays is required.
Job Description: The essential purpose of this position is to provide custodial and minor maintenance care to the school and church buildings as well as set up and take down services for events and classroom support. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary and directed, must be available for special events and last-minute schedule changes.
Assists Facilities Coordinator with:
- Scheduling Custodian team for church and event coverage
- Monitors, assign and responds to the ticket system and radio requests
- Closes out completed tickets
- Creates work schedules for Custodians, including weekend work, for approval by the Facilities Manager
- Conducts daily inspections of campus to ensure necessary supplies are in place, the campus is clean and functioning properly
- Learns to manage HVAC and security system hardware as the backup to Facilities Manager
- Is present and in lead position whenever Facilities Manager is off-campus, on vacation, or not scheduled to work
General Responsibilities: Works alone or in a team with minimal direct supervision to keep all buildings clean and orderly by performing the following, but not limited to:
- Vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping floors
- Spot cleaning and shampooing carpets
- Floor stripping, waxing, and buffing
- General cleaning, including washing, disinfecting bathrooms, classrooms, kitchens, and dusting
- Replace and stock supplies
- Gathers and disposes of trash in buildings and on grounds
- Painting, minor maintenance
- Light bulb and ceiling tile replacement
- Window washing, sidewalk sweeping, power washing, and gutter cleaning
- Event setups and takedowns (chairs, tables, projector, and screens)
- Playground cleaning (including sandbox raking)
- Assisting staff with transporting of items, loose and boxed
- Unlocks and secures the buildings as directed
- Advises Supervisor of potential building and grounds issues
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Knowledge of Outlook and Google Suite.
- Computer skills to utilize our ticket management system, HVAC, and security systems
- Adequate knowledge of cleaning and caring for the building and grounds
- Ability to
- work independently at times without direct supervision
- manage time and juggle multiple tasks and projects
- communicate with staff, members, students, and parents
- comprehend instructions and take direction
- work around children
- manage stress in a sometimes hectic environment
- Normal physical mobility and coordination, which includes movement from place to place, such as climbing stairs
- Ability to reach and bend, push/pull, and lift and carry objects within a weight range from 3 pounds to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand and work on feet for extended periods
- Ability to assist with handling objects in excess of 50 pounds
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers
- Must be able to work outdoors in seasonal conditions
- Must be in overall good general health
About St. Mark’s Episcopal School
The community of St. Mark’s Episcopal School celebrates the uniqueness of each child. We are stewards of our students’ intellectual curiosity, faith, and passion for discovery. We cultivate joy, playfulness, and growth in a child-centered environment. Located in the West University Place neighborhood of Houston, St. Mark’s serves 460 students from 18 months olds through 8th grade. St. Mark’s is an engaging community of learners where the school partners with its families in preparing each student for the path that lies ahead through a stimulating, whole-child school experience. Through offerings in athletics, performing and visual arts, technology, Spanish, and a robust curriculum, St. Mark’s prepares its graduates for the many high school options Houston offers, and successfully places its students in high schools which best fit each.
St. Mark’s is an Episcopal school, and as part of the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church parish, is known as a community environment and second home to over 320 families. The school is committed to its positive relationship with families, believing strongly in the power of a fully engaged dynamic between school and home. As a place where children are known, teachers understand what it means to meet children where they are, which plays a crucial role in fostering each child’s spirit.
Interested candidates should complete our online staff application at www.stmes.org/careers.