Sewanee, TN United States
YOU BELONG HERE.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School seeks a dynamic Librarian for the historic Agee Library. Successful candidates will have a commitment to Middle and Upper School reading and a love for learning in a boarding/day school with a diverse and welcoming Episcopal environment. This is a 10-month, full-time position, and reports to the Academic Dean. Outstanding candidates will be self-directed, possess exceptional rapport-building skills, have a generally upbeat and enthusiastic disposition, and enjoy working with other adults to encourage challenge, balance, and joy in the lives of adolescents.
SAS strives to build a community of individuals and families from diverse socio-economic backgrounds, cultures, races, religions, and sexual orientations to prepare our students to live in and serve a diverse and multicultural society. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence.
ABOUT ST. ANDREW’S-SEWANEE SCHOOL
Named one of the eight most beautiful high schools in the South by Southern Living magazine, St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School (www.sasweb.org) is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, day and boarding college-preparatory school serving 240 students in grades 6-12. Established in 1868, the school welcomes students from around the country and around the world. Our faculty and staff appreciate abundant outdoor adventure, access to the cultural opportunities of the nearby University of the South, and the joy of cultivating close relationships in a small community.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure that the library’s academic and technical resources advance the school’s educational program.
- Develop policies, programming, and curriculum, in collaboration with the Educational Technology Coordinator, that will establish standards for and definitions of information literacy and bolster support for library services that contribute to an information-literate student body.
- Foster an environment of creativity and innovation and instill in students a love of reading and learning.
- Manage the library budget.
- Develop, acquire, and maintain a collection of resources appropriate to the curriculum, the students, and the instructional strategies of the school’s faculty.
- Maintain an attractive, dynamic, current, and well-stocked library conducive to reading, studying, and research.
- Select, process, and make readily available a variety of resources, including print, digital, and multimedia.
- Establish, cultivate, and/or maintain collaborative relationships with external partners.
- Maintain a circulation system that ensures the prompt return of materials and their ready availability to other borrowers.
- Oversee the daily operations of the library space and equipment.
- Collaborate with faculty to provide instruction in the use of library resources, best research practices, and the ethical use of information.
- Provide bibliographic and reference services for teachers and students.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of summer reading.
- Act as an advocate of the library, share expertise at faculty meetings, and serve on academic committees.
- Provide access to Agee Library resources to broader community members.
- Stay current on trends in information services and technologies by maintaining active memberships in professional associations and attending relevant conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Enthusiasm and commitment to caring for adolescents
- Commitment to St. Andrew’s-Sewanee’s mission and vision and comfort with the tenets of the Episcopal Church
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science, Information Studies, or a related field required. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Five years of experience in library program management
- Demonstrated success collaborating with faculty in all disciplines to enable/enhance student learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A willingness to fully participate in a boarding school environment, and
- A philosophical alignment with our core values and curriculum, which can be found on our website.
Applicants with prior independent school and/or boarding school experience will be given special consideration.
This is a full-time, academic year position. Salary is dependent on education and experience; teachers are given salary credit for teaching experience. Benefits include a tuition remission plan, health and dental insurance, worker’s compensation, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, defined contribution retirement plan, and eligibility for grants for professional enrichment and continuing education.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications should be directed to the Librarian Search Committee. Please include a letter of introduction, a résumé, a teaching statement, and at least two professional references. In addition to fulfilling application requirements as stated in the position posting, all applicants must complete an Employment Application. We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will close applications when the position is filled.