Richmond, VA United States
St. Catherine’s School is an Episcopal day school in Richmond, Virginia, founded in 1890 enrolling 946 girls age 3 through grade 12. Located on a 16-acre campus in the western part of the city, St. Catherine’s core values include pursuing academic excellence, developing character, nurturing spiritual growth, celebrating individuals, and building community.
St. Catherine’s School provides a rigorous education that prepares girls with diverse perspectives for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a global community.
A teacher in the Lower School must be able to create a flexible program and a class environment designed to cultivate each student’s learning and personal growth. This teacher needs to establish effective rapport with students and motivate and guide students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed for a foundation for lifelong learning and responsible global citizenship. Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with parents and other faculty/staff members is essential. Lower School reading teachers are expected to collaborate effectively with other faculty/staff members, as well as support the school’s mission and core values.
Supervisor: Head of Lower School
Position Status: Full-time, exempt, temporary
Hours of Work: Standard work week. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts St. Catherine’s School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
- Developing lesson plans and utilizing instructional materials that enhance the learning experiences and maximize the available time for instruction
- Assisting with evaluating kindergarten through grade 4 students in reading and spelling throughout the year as needed
- Teaching reading groups in kindergarten through grade 4
- Implementing curriculum in collaboration with grade level and resource teams
- Establishing and maintaining standards of student behavior needed to achieve a positive learning atmosphere in the classroom
- Providing individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
- Enhancing an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays and bulletin boards
- Evaluating students’ academic and social growth, keeping appropriate records and preparing report cards
- Working collaboratively with other faculty/staff members/support personnel (e.g., homeroom teachers, therapists, counselors, etc.) in assessing and helping students with regard to health, attitude and learning
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with families
- Communicating with reading group parents through bi-weekly updates
- Communicating with parents through conferences, narrative report card comments, emails, and/or phone calls as needed to discuss students’ progress
- Supervising students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day (i.e. carpool, recess, study hall, clubs, and other assigned duties)
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from accredited university
- Experience is preferred but not necessary for hiring
- Demonstrate proficiency with integrating technology into the classroom (e.g., Microsoft Office, SMARTBoard, etc.)
- Demonstrate adaptability to new and evolving technology, and the ability to show innovation and vision related to the efficient processing of information related to this role
- Demonstrate proficiency with oral and written communication
- Flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances
- Positive team-oriented attitude
- Knowledge of learning differences and disabilities
- Training in a multi-sensory literacy, phonics and word study curriculum, preferred
- Experience with administering and interpreting PALS, Fountas and Pinnell, and DSA tests, preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; and smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
Travel is not a requirement for this role.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information on St. Catherine’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this link https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging
An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.