Richmond, VA United States
St. Catherine’s School is an Episcopal day school in Richmond, Virginia, founded in 1890 enrolling 946 girls age 3 through grade 12. Located on a 16-acre campus in the western part of the city, St. Catherine’s core values include pursuing academic excellence, developing character, nurturing spiritual growth, celebrating individuals, and building community.
St. Catherine’s School provides a rigorous education that prepares girls with diverse perspectives for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a global community.
St. Catherine’s School seeks a motivated and dynamic educator who can work collaboratively to help design and facilitate innovative computer science & robotics learning opportunities for our Lower School students.
Primary responsibilities include teaching creative technologies classes for students in Kindergarten through fourth grade, and leading our Lower School First Lego League robotics teams. The teacher will provide a positive, safe, and supportive environment and develop innovative programming for Lower School students to build skills and confidence in STEM. The ideal candidate will build strong relationships with students, contribute to the overall life of the school, and lead the preparation of students for First Lego League Robotics competitions.
Supervisors: Head of Lower School & Director of Innovation and Educational Technology
Position Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 9-month
Hours of Work: Standard work week. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts St. Catherine’s School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
● Developing and teaching a developmentally appropriate and innovative Lower School curriculum whose objectives are based on current national standards for computational thinking, coding, robotics, digital fabrication, physical computing, and digital citizenship
● Prepare Lower School robotics teams for regional First Lego League competitions through classes and after-school sessions
● Work closely with Lower School grade level teams to foster creative and appropriate use of technology, innovation, and design in project-based learning
● Support parents in the effective implementation of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), and promote appropriate, ethical use of technology
● Provide parent engagement programs and resources on technology topics that relate to student life and digital citizenship
● Communicating with parents through, conferences, narrative report card comments, emails, phone calls as needed as well as monthly updates on the approved Lower School platform as designated by the Head of Lower School
● Foster an equitable and inclusive educational environment
● Professional experience and/or a personal commitment to increasing understanding of topics and initiatives related to diversity, access, equity, and belonging
● Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor’s degree in STEM or Elementary Education
● Experience teaching elementary students; specifically in areas of robotics, computer science, or technology
● Experience coaching First Lego League Robotics teams
● Knowledge of digital fabrication tools including laser cutters and 3D printers
● Experience developing engaging STEM projects for young learners
● Flexible mindset and ability to bring innovative approaches to identifying and solving problems
● Experience exploring and piloting new technologies
● Creative and energetic teaching strategies and good classroom management skills
● Strong initiative and organizational skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to manipulate, handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; and smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
Occasional overnight and out-of-area travel may also be required for special events.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information about the school’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this link https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging.
An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.
To apply for this position: https://apply.workable.com/st-catherines-school/j/FD93206838/