Tappahannock, VA United States
About St. Margaret’s School
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) was founded in 1921 as an Episcopal all-girls 8-12 boarding school on the Middle Peninsula whose campus sits along the picturesque and historic Rappahannock River in Tappahannock, Virginia. As in 1921, SMS continues its work as a college preparatory school to educate girls to apply their knowledge of lessons in liberal arts to live lives of integrity and service. It is supported by an active alumni, dedicated administration, and a faculty that truly is the heart and soul of all programming that serves to invite girls to an awakening of self in community with purpose.
SMS has adopted a unique hands-on, place-based curriculum known as S.T.R.E.A.M. “… to practice higher-order thinking skills and to develop necessary research, design, production, and communication skills to create and to employ solutions to real world problems in order to benefit the here and now with the promise to have a positive impact in the broader world beyond the banks of our Rappahannock River.” The “R” in S.T.R.E.A.M. stands for River. The newly constructed river classroom sits at the end of a multi-purpose dock and serves as a setting from which teachers across all disciplines conduct classes. Our location presents students with the opportunity to learn about real-world, 21st century problems and play a hand in solving such problems in service to the natural environment that sustains them and their fellow human beings.
About this Faculty position
For the 2023-2024 Academic School Year, SMS seeks full-time Math Faculty with knowledge and skills to teach basic to advanced level courses to include Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Probability/Statistics, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and AP Calculus for the 2023-2024 academic school year. Math Faculty can expect to teach anywhere between two and four preps and four to five sections and tutor in some capacity.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- A desire to be present in the lives of young girls as a part of a boarding school.
- A willingness to uphold the school’s mission and Honor Code.
- An awareness of professionalism’s place in relationships with students and colleagues.
- A compassionate contributor to the school’s diverse identity.
- A dynamic and flexible interest in supporting school life programming, especially in the areas of residential life and athletics.
- A passion for the outdoors, especially the river.
- Be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to pass fleet safety training and drive a small bus. (CDL not required)
SMS is an equal opportunity employer. SMS does not discriminate against prospective employees on the basis of race, sex, national origin, ethnicity, religion, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal law.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume with a cover letter as an attachment. Contact names and phone numbers for three professional references who are prepared to speak to the qualities that make one a good fit for SMS should be included in the resume. Please email these items directly to Mr. Larry Foulk, Dean of Faculty at firstname.lastname@example.org.