Smyrna, GA United States
Middle School Chaplain
(Possible Diversity Director Combination, please inquire if interested)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Position Type: 10-month Staff, Full-Time (12-month with Diversity Director)
Reports to: Head of School
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION:
The Middle School Chaplain is responsible for the spiritual and emotional care of 5-8th grade students, their families, and the middle school faculty and staff of St. Benedict’s Episcopal School. This includes, but is not limited to, overseeing religious education, oversight and leadership over regular worship, and pastoral counseling for students and faculty.
– Provide a “soft place to land” for students, faculty, and staff
– Provide referrals to families who need outside counseling services
– Work with administration to provide the school with a culture of respect for all religions.
– Coordinate communication major life changes that affect our school community
– Maintain confidentiality and pastoral boundaries
– Sustain an on-going spiritual practice through a worshiping community
– Maintaining the Episcopal Identity and ethos, seeing that it is woven throughout the scope and sequence of the entire curriculum
– Provide school-wide theological pedagogy through a set of instructional standards.
– Insure and supervise theological instruction occurs when scheduled.
– Provide lesson plans for substitute teachers.
Maintain personal continuing education and professional development goals
LITURGY & WORSHIP
– Provide weekly public worship services in collaboration with the lower school chaplain.
– Create and organize opportunities for faculty, staff, students, and parents of all faith traditions to participate in worship services.
– Manage acolyte, reading, and intercession rotations among students.
– Work with the clergy of St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church to provide material and plans for Episcopal Schools Celebration (usually the first week of October).
– Oversee the volunteer School Altar Guild Committee, which is trained by the church Altar Guild.
– Plan monthly Eucharists for middle students (5-8), in addition to the observation of Major Feast Days when they coincide with the school year.
– Work with church staff to schedule all school events in the nave.
– Print bulletins for worship services.
– Coordinate with Church Altar Guild all supplies, and items needed for school worship.
– Seek to provide meaningful worship services, enhanced by music, story, and prayer
– Please Inquire about DEIB Director position.
– Guide the school in the achievement and maintenance of our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging program. – Collaborate with the administration and faculty, when appropriate, in the planning and implementation of programs that enhance the social, emotional and spiritual well-being of the community
– Other duties as assigned by Head of School and the Assistant Head of School
QUALIFICATIONS: Master of Divinity
– At least 3 years of chaplaincy experience, preferably in an Episcopal School or working with children.
– Up-to-date with Safe Guarding God’s Children
Please email inquiries and resumes to The Rev. Brian Sullivan, Head of School (email@example.com)
St. Benedict’s Episcopal School
2160 Cooper Lake Road
Smyrna, GA 30080