Metairie, LA United States
St. Martin’s Episcopal School in Metairie, LA seeks an experienced Middle School Counselor. The Middle School Counselor works with students, families and school faculty and staff to assist with social, emotional, and academic support during the middle school years.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides counseling services to the school community.
- Provides classroom Social-Emotional Learning curriculum to 5th-8th grade students.
- Consults regularly with the Lower School and Upper School Counselors.
- Collaborates with teachers in classrooms to support students’ social, emotional, and physical well-being.
- Works in conjunction with the Middle School Division Head and Learning Specialists to recommend psychological, therapeutic, psychoeducational evaluators, and other third-party support to families when necessary.
- Communicates with outside specialists, when necessary, regarding students’ needs.
- Remains current with best practices in the field of adolescent counseling.
- Establishes and maintains frequent communication with parents about their child’s social, emotional, and academic needs and/or progress.
- Attends and participates in weekly faculty meetings, committee meetings, school functions, and professional development activities during and after school hours as needed.
- Adheres to strict confidentiality.
- Participates in and/or chaperones some school activities, field trips, orientations, and experiential learning trips.
- Performs other tasks as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Division Head and/or the Head of School.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Education, Psychology, Counseling, or a similar field; advanced degree and/or LPC preferred.
- Minimum 2-5 years experience in counseling in a school setting.
- Knowledge of best practices related to providing social and emotional support for adolescents.
- Strong relational, interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Time management and planning skills.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email a letter of interest and resume to Angela Day at HR@stmsaints.com
St. Martin’s is actively working to create a diverse work community. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. St. Martin’s School is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
St. Martin’s does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.