Dallas, TX United States
Purpose: The Middle School Design Lab Teacher and Coordinator will teach computer science and engineering to MS students using design thinking and maker models and tools, planning and implementing lessons to support students’ acquisition of technology and design skills across grades 5-8. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, enthusiastic teacher with a strong background in computer education and programming.
The Design Lab Teacher and Coordinator understands that students think to make, and students make to think. The design lab will both initiate and extend students’ learning through exploration, collaboration, design, and creation.
The Design Lab will support students’ understanding of coding, circuitry, robotics, and 2D and 3D design using a variety of materials including 3D printers. It will extend the work of the LS design lab and work to prepare students for the Upper School Computer Science and Engineering courses including Computer Science Principles and Principles of Engineering with Programming.
Essential Function: Provides instruction in the Design Lab in support of “learning through doing”
- Provide direct instruction to students grades 5-8 in design thinking skills and competencies, including making, coding and engineering competencies.
- As a Division-level Faculty Member in the Middle School, the MS Design Lab teacher fulfills the following division-related responsibilities and activities:
- Serves as a Middle School advisor, liaising between parents and school in support of the advisee.
- Supervises advisory daily in chapel, lunch, and other assigned duties
- Serves on a grade-level team, engaging in weekly meetings as well as assists in planning and supervising grade-level programming, activities, and field trips
- Chaperone advisory on outdoor education overnight trips.
- Attends Middle School faculty meetings and supports the middle school division;
- Work with the HOMS, Associate Chief Academic Officer, and EdTech Directors in updating and maintaining the lab
- Empower and support staff and students in using technology and making to develop the hard and soft skills required to thrive beyond school
- Works closely with IT and ACAO to ensure the spaces and tools provide innovative opportunities
- Maintain Design Lab equipment, including organization and maintenance of tools and materials inventory
- Ensure compliance with safety, rules/policy guidelines as well as best practice for Design Lab tools
- Create an environment for open exchange of ideas and collaboration opportunities
- Communicate Design Lab activities to the ESD community
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Please apply through the following link.