Richmond, VA United States
Position Classification: Full Time (10 months), Faculty, Salaried Exempt
Hours: The school day is 7:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m. plus after school coaching/activity duty as assigned
Reports to: Head of Middle School
Position Summary: St. Christopher’s School, the largest all-boys school in Virginia and one of the largest and oldest boys’ schools in the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks a Librarian for our Middle School.
Serving 960 boys in Grades JK-12 in Richmond, Virginia, St. Christopher’s School is committed to cultivating a school community that is diverse, inclusive, and welcoming, and prides itself on bringing out the best in every boy. Our Episcopal foundation is at the center of what we do, and we care most about developing young men who possess honor and integrity. Our boys benefit from an education and curriculum that is focused on excellence in all forms, including academics, the arts, athletics, and service learning. The ideal candidate is a dynamic and collaborative educator who can help students and faculty achieve the School’s academic mission through the various functions, services and opportunities provided through its library.
- Maintain the print and digital library collections, including cataloging and processing, managing circulation and annual inventories, and cross-platform digital library resource integration and troubleshooting
- Manage multiple digital library services such as EBSCO Discovery service, Overdrive, Follett Library Manager, SpringShare, OpenAthens authentication, databases, streaming video, online periodicals, and other digital research interfaces to ensure consistent, seamless, and fully integrated access to digital tools and print resources
- Create library programming and service in collaboration with faculty, including research and information literacy curriculum
- Supervise and maintain the library space and provide comprehensive reference services to students and faculty
- Instruct and support faculty and staff in the ethical use of information, library resources, and technology through professional development and individualized support
- Actively develop a robust school reading culture through regularly scheduled and boy-friendly book clubs, book talks, engaging displays, programming, and activities, etc.
Additional Faculty Responsibilities:
- Serve as an advisor
- Coach or lead a significant co-curricular activity
- Participate in the life of the school through committee work and being a regular presence at major school events such as concerts, plays, athletic contests, and other events
- Communicate and interact with library faculty and staff from across the school in an appropriate and effective professional manner
- Communicate in a timely and efficient manner with parents, as appropriate
- Execute other duties (study halls, chaperoning dances, etc.) as assigned
- Stay abreast of best practices for teaching boys
- Hold an MLIS or MLS from an ALA accredited program
- Be experienced with library management systems and discovery services
- Be proficient in HTML, CCS, and MARC 21 standards
- Be curious and capable in developing and implementing cross-platform digital and print library resources in accordance to user experience best practices
- Possess a love for reading and be able to engage boys in pursuing a lifelong love of reading
- Possess excellent problem solving, communication, analytic, and customer service skills
- Have a growth mindset, be creative and flexible, and demonstrate a sense of humor
- Have a focus on collaborating effectively with members of the Middle School faculty to achieve their class and departmental goals
- Possess a clear commitment to diversity, community, and inclusion in school communities, as expressed in the St. Christopher’s Diversity and Inclusion Statement
- Enjoy working with young people, especially boys
- Be able to perform light physical duties including cleaning and dusting of library spaces and moving and shelving of books
Additional Information: Candidates interested in pursuing this position should send a cover letter, résumé, and a minimum of three references with contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Middle School Librarian” in the subject line.