Bethesda, MD United States
Washington Episcopal School in Bethesda, Maryland, is accepting applications for a dynamic teacher of middle-school level social studies for the 2024-2025 school year.
The ideal candidate is an experienced classroom teacher at the middle school level who is excited to provide engaging, hands-on learning experiences in the social sciences and whose passion for history and solid pedagogical practice drives a joyful and active learning experience. As a member of a dedicated Middle School team, this full-time position includes Homeroom and/or Advisory responsibilities.
- Undergraduate degree (masters preferred) in History and/or Education
- Minimum of two years of related teaching experience, preferably at the middle school level
- A high level of energy and initiative
- Strong collaborative skills
- Teach grade 7 and grade 8 students World Geography and U.S. Government in History as core social studies courses.
- Encourage middle school students to take interest in major political and humanitarian events in the United States and the world.
- Model enthusiasm for and love of learning.
- Create engaging and inclusive lesson plans that cater to a diverse range of learning needs.
- Implement effective classroom management strategies to foster a positive and structured learning environment.
- Advise a small group of middle school students to help foster social and emotional skills, encourage a strong sense of community, and to have fun!
- Oversee a Grade 8 homeroom, with a particular emphasis on the High School transition process and graduation events.
- Help supervise, plan, and participate in active multi-day overnight trips locally and abroad.
- Take turns monitoring lunch, recess, study halls, and dismissals.
- Sponsor a weekly club such as chess, crafts, pickleball, or pod casting.
- Be a kind and caring adult in middle schoolers lives.
- Perform professional duties efficiently, manage resources effectively, and meet deadlines and meeting schedules set by the School, as assigned
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and department meetings
Washington Episcopal School (WES) is an independent, co-educational school for students from Pre-Kindergarten 3 through Grade 8. Washington Episcopal School inspires academic and personal excellence within a joyful learning environment to develop students who are kind, confident, and prepared citizens of the world
WES is committed to a diverse and inclusive community and seeks applications for
this position from candidates who will contribute to an environment in which all are valued and supported.