Sewanee, TN United States
YOU BELONG HERE.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School seeks a dynamic Music/Theatre Teacher and Director with a commitment to Middle and Upper School arts education in a boarding/day school with a diverse and welcoming Episcopal environment. This is a 10-month, full-time position, and reports to the Academic Dean. Outstanding candidates will be self-directed, possess exceptional rapport-building skills, have a generally upbeat and enthusiastic disposition, and enjoy working with other adults to encourage challenge, balance, and joy in the lives of adolescents.
Successful candidates for employment will have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence.
ABOUT ST. ANDREW’S-SEWANEE SCHOOL
Named one of the eight most beautiful high schools in the South by Southern Living magazine, St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School (www.sasweb.org) is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, day and boarding college-preparatory school serving 240 students in grades 6-12. Established in 1868, the school welcomes students from around the country and around the world. Our faculty and staff appreciate abundant outdoor adventure, access to the cultural opportunities of the nearby University of the South, and the joy of cultivating close relationships in a small community.
POSITION: Music/Theatre Teacher and Director
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
Teach middle school Music/Theatre courses and upper school Music Ensemble and Theatre courses
- Direct two productions each year, including one musical
- Coordinate Creative Expression Assemblies, school-wide opportunities to share creative works four times per year
- Help students with speaking and presentation skills, as needed
- Participate in departmental planning and curricular review
- Assist with weekend campus activities and supervision
- Serve as an advisor
- Additional duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate and/or advanced degree in Theater, Music, or a related field.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to caring for adolescents.
- Commitment to St. Andrew’s-Sewanee’s mission and vision and comfort with the tenets of the Episcopal Church.
- A philosophical alignment with our core values and curriculum, which can be found on our website https://www.sasweb.org/about/people/diversity-equity-and-belonging
- Commitment to innovative teaching methods.
- A willingness to fully participate in a boarding school environment, and
- Enthusiasm for teaching within a diverse community of learners.
Applicants with prior directing experience, teaching experience, and/or boarding school experience will be given special consideration.
This is a full-time, 10-month, non-exempt position. Benefits include a tuition remission plan, health and dental insurance, worker’s compensation, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, defined contribution retirement plan, and eligibility for grants for professional enrichment and continuing education.
Applications should be directed to the Music/Theatre Teacher Search Committee. Please include a letter of introduction, a résumé, a teaching statement, and at least two professional references. In addition to fulfilling application requirements as stated in this position posting, all applicants must complete an Employment Application. We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will close applications when the position is filled.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Direct applications and inquiries to:
Music/Theatre Teacher Search Committee
c/o Andrea Booher (email@example.com)
Assistant to the Head of School