Christchurch, VA United States
Christchurch School is a co-ed Episcopal boarding and day school serving grades 9—12. Founded in 1921, Christchurch is located on a 125-acre waterfront campus on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The school’s Mission is to inspire and guide each student’s unique journey to self-confidence, purpose, and identity within a caring, structured community, where they discover their infinite value and develop the skills to become compassionate, successful, and engaged global citizens.
Position Overview. Christchurch School seeks an experienced part-time Mental Health Counselor (the “Counselor”) to work under its Head Mental Health and Performance Counselor. The Counselor is a crucial member of the Health & Wellness team, working under the Head Counselor and alongside the Community Life Deans, Health Services, and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Committee. The Counselor works with our administrators, teachers, dorm parents, coaches, and nurses, as well as outside professionals, to provide social and emotional support for students.
Who you are: A person who fosters an inclusive workplace built on equitable policies and procedures. You are also able to engage a diverse team of co-workers and students.
Specific duties include:
- Providing counseling services to students
- Providing crisis intervention assistance to students as needed
- Coordinating outside referral counselor services
- Advocating for student and faculty/staff mental health
- Helping screen admission files
- Maintaining knowledge of state and local service agencies
- Working with Health & Wellness and the Community Life Team on school-wide initiatives
- On-call duties TBD
- Scheduling tele-health sessions for students and their outside mental health providers when needed
- Meeting and screening prospective students and families working in tandem with the Admission office
Requirements and Qualifications.
- A master’s degree and appropriate credentials in school counseling
- Licensure as a clinician (LPC, LMHC, CSW, or equivalent) is preferred
- Experience working with a wide variety of teenagers, preferably in a school setting
- Proficiency in organizing work, maintaining records, managing time, attention to detail, follow through, and setting priorities
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding and complying with HIPAA, maintaining confidentiality with sensitivity and understanding while interacting with students, parents, and employees, as well as internal and external constituents.
- Ability to perform position responsibilities in a professional manner that models and ensures a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and work environment
- Uphold the school’s commitment to its mission and core values
Additional Opportunities: In addition to coaching, applicants may also apply to be involved in other aspects of the School. Examples include teaching, administration, residential life etc.
- Ability to work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods
- Ability to be mobile around campus and buildings
- Fast-paced, small boarding and day school
- No travel required
Equal Employment Opportunity: The School is an equal opportunity employer. The School provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, age, disability, genetic information or any other factor prohibited by applicable law. All aspects of personnel management – including hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment, layoff, discipline, termination, compensation, benefits, training and working conditions – will be administered in accordance with this policy. Each employee is expected to do their part to maintain a working environment free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Conditional Offers: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law.
Compensation & Benefits: Christchurch School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this position. Benefits such as health insurance, retirement, professional development, and housing may also be included at the discretion of the school.
Please submit an electronic resume and a letter of interest directly to Wesley M. Charlton, Associate Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.