Palm Beach Gardens, FL United States
St. Mark’s Episcopal School is excited to conduct a search for a part-time writing teacher for the 2022-2023 school year.
St. Mark’s, established in 1979, is a coeducational parish day school, now serving 460 students from age two through Grade 8 in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The foundation of St. Mark’s program is to provide students with balanced exposure to academics, arts, athletics, and spiritual life. At all levels, our students will be as our mission states, academically enriched in a nurturing Christian environment.
Our workshop format writing courses develop authors who produce authentic, structured writing with a focus on ideas, organization, word choice, conventions, voice, and sentence fluency. Mini-lessons in a small group setting build strength in these specific skills. Consistent drafting, revising, conferencing, and editing encourage students to see writing as a continual process and reflect upon their work.
Ideal candidates are those who seek to partner with parents, collaborate with team members, demonstrate a commitment to professional growth, motivate students academically, and support students in developing their moral character. A firm understanding of differentiated instruction and 21st century skills should drive this candidate’s instruction. Qualified candidates should have an understanding and the ability to respond to the distinct needs of middle school students, as communication with children of this age requires a healthy balance of structure, empathy, and humor.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in Secondary English Education, Composition and Rhetoric, or a degree of a similar nature related to literature or writing.
- An interest in academic writing and the ability to convey research writing skills to students.
- An understanding of traditional grammar, including sentence diagramming.
- An understanding of best practices for teaching content area skills.
- Ability to manage a classroom while pulling small groups to differentiate instruction and conference with students.
- A love of the middle school age.
- Familiarity with independent school culture.
- Comfort with a faith-based school.
- Knowledge of authentic, age-appropriate technology integration.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Nicole Robison, Head of Middle School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.