Tampa, FL United States
St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School is a co-educational Episcopal day school located in Tampa, Florida serving approximately 450 children in Pre-Kindergarten through eighth grade. At St. Mary’s we pride ourselves on offering an environment that is both nurturing and challenging to our students. Students graduate with a strong, well-rounded foundation in academics, athletics, visual and performing arts, technology, World Language, religion, public speaking and community service. Our students exemplify the St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School mission: Learn – Love – Lead – Inspiring curiosity, kindness, and dignity in a caring Christian community.
St. Mary’s is seeking a qualified and dynamic Religious Studies Teacher for all grade levels. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible exempt position for the 2022-2023 school year. Work is performed under the supervision of the Director of Student Success and Head of School and the direction of the Rector and Chaplain. The Religious Studies Teacher is responsible for faithfully carrying out all the responsibilities of a teacher as described in the St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School’s mission statement. The Religious Studies Teacher is responsible for assisting in the planning, organizing and implementing of an appropriate instructional Religious Studies program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their spiritual potential.
Successful candidates will understand and model St. Mary’s mission statement: Learn – Love – Lead – Inspiring curiosity, kindness, and dignity in a caring Christian community. In addition, the Religious Studies Teacher will have a proven ability to work and communicate well with adolescents as well as their parents, and embrace the St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School and Church culture and educational model, collaborate with fellow faculty members, and serve as a contributing member of the school and church community.
- Foster a professional, respectful, prayerful, and appreciative student-centered environment
- Support and encourage each student in their learning and spiritual journey
- Model Episcopal identity and values
- Create engaging lesson plans to teach students the necessary skills to master and understand the subject matter
- Plan and teach lessons in individual, small group, classroom, and/or full grade level settings
- Prepare lesson materials, lead and moderate discussions, provide religious instruction to students
- Provide leadership to students and the school community regarding St. Mary’s School’s Episcopal identity
- Assist the Rector and Chaplain in the preparation and execution of school chapel services
- Assess students and grade students’ assignments, prepare report cards, and post grades to the portal in a timely fashion
- Make necessary accommodations for students, as directed by the Division Head or Director of Student Success
- Work with students individually to help them overcome specific learning challenges or provide opportunities for enrichment in the subject matter
- Develop and enforce classroom rules as well as help students uphold the St. Mary’s Universals and Portrait of a Saint
- Create a welcoming classroom environment that values diversity and inclusion and prioritizes student wellness and growth
- Supervise and ensure safety of students during snack, transfers, recess, lunch, or other areas as needed
- Meet regularly with Division Heads and participate in committee, department, and staff meetings as well as school-sponsored events.
- Follow child safety and reporting requirements in the case of suspected child abuse or neglect
- Collaborate and communicate with other St. Mary’s faculty/staff
- Assume responsibility for other projects and perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Success or Head of School
- Actively participate in growth and evaluation framework and comply with all rules, regulations, policies, and practices of the school, including, without limitation to those set forth in the Employee Handbook, as may be amended from time to time
Experience & Education & Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree and/or Graduate degree in Education, Religion, or a related field
- Preferred 3-5+ years demonstrated experience working in school setting
- Preferred experience working in a religious-based program
- Appreciation for and comfortable reflecting the Episcopal Church identity and ethos.
- Preferred candidate would be a Confirmed Communicant in good standing within the Episcopal Church.
This position announcement is intended to describe the general qualifications and nature of the level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this job position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all duties, skills and responsibilities that are required or may be required in the future.
St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School conducts background checks including but not limited to level two fingerprinting, and may use a third party administrator to conduct these checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. St. Mary’s does not discriminate according to race, color, national origin, religion, veteran status, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, sex (including pregnancy) or matters of individual choice. St. Mary’s does not engage in personnel practices prohibited by Federal law. This policy extends to all activities and aspects of the school and specifically to the practices of faculty and staff hiring and management, in student admissions, student evaluation, discipline and student life.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume and cover letter to: Ansley Kriz, Director of HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org.