Fresno, TX United States
St. Mark’s Episcopal School in Houston, Texas is seeking a School Counselor to provide a comprehensive program for the students, families, and faculty that focuses on academic success and personal and social development. While this position encompasses many different duties, the primary function is to focus on helping students develop skills they need to be successful in their social and academic lives. He/she will also assist teachers and administrators to identify and manage possible behavioral or developmental problems. He/she will observe children in the classroom and at play activities and confer with teachers and parents about children’s strengths, challenges, and special needs. This position is hands-on and includes parent education and teaching middle school students.
- Provide one-on-one and/or group social-emotional support to students in a relaxed, confidential atmosphere, on both a regular basis and as individual needs arise.
- Work with students to develop skills such as organization, time management, and effective study habits.
- Provide faculty support for identification, referral, curricular and family conversations surrounding mental health wellness and needs for students within the school setting.
- Help lead the Middle School Advisory Program, including programming, topical classroom discussion guidance, advisor training and student advisory activities seeking to support a positive, healthy, student-centered learning environment within the Middle School.
- Identify and report possible cases of neglect or abuse.
- Serve as a resource to parents when experiencing student and family difficulties, as well as a liaison in communicating these difficulties confidentially as needed to faculty and administration.
- Refer students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support.
- Create and implement educationally-sound, relevant health- and wellness-related programming and co-curricular activities to foster better mental health and a positive learning environment for students and families in all grades (18 months old through 8th grade).
- Develop a partnership with the Nick Finnegan Counseling Center to create an internship program with students from the Center to benefit the students at St. Mark’s.
- Maintain accurate and complete records and files, while adhering to legal and ethical guidelines of the profession.
- Contribute to the overall positivity of school culture by serving as a campus mentor and modeling appropriate behaviors.
- Remain current on school social-emotional counseling through an active commitment to professional development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s Degree, LPC, LMFT, or related degree.
- Current Texas state certification and good standing with the state licensing board.
- Previous experience in providing counseling or mental health support in a school-based, student-centered learning environment.
- Familiarity with community resources for referrals.
- A genuine love for working with all types of students and families, a positive sense of humor and optimistic outline, and a highly collaborative nature for working with other dedicated, team-oriented educators.
- Unquestionable integrity, confidentiality, and communication skills, as well as a thorough understanding and commitment to the St. Mark’s Episcopal School mission.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works in a sometimes highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; to bend, stoop, and reach overhead.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
- Occasional weekend and evening work associated with school events or unusual situations.
How to Apply: All candidates must apply directly through the St. Mark’s Episcopal School Careers Page. Please apply using the Staff Application available at www.stmes.org/careers.
About St. Mark’s Episcopal School
The community of St. Mark’s Episcopal School celebrates the uniqueness of each child. We are stewards of our students’ intellectual curiosity, faith, and passion for discovery. We cultivate joy, playfulness, and growth in a child-centered environment. Located in the West University Place neighborhood of Houston, St. Mark’s serves 460 students from 18 months old through 8th grade. St. Mark’s is an engaging community of learners where the school partners with its families in preparing each student for the path that lies ahead through a stimulating, whole-child school experience. Through offerings in athletics, performing and visual arts, technology, Spanish, and a robust curriculum, St. Mark’s prepares its graduates for the many high school options Houston offers, and successfully places its students in high schools which best fit each.
St. Mark’s is an Episcopal school, and as part of the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church parish, is known as a community environment and second home to over 320 families. The school is committed to its positive relationship with families, believing strongly in the power of a fully engaged dynamic between school and home. As a place where children are known, teachers understand what it means to meet children where they are, which plays a crucial role in fostering each child’s spirit.