Exton, PA United States
Position Available: School Counselor
Start Date: 2022-2023 School Year
FLSA Classification: Exempt, Full-time
THE CHURCH FARM SCHOOL
1001 E. Lincoln Highway
Exton, PA 19341
The Church Farm School is an independent boarding and day school for boys in grades 9-12 in the Episcopal tradition. Founded in 1918 and located in Exton, PA, Church Farm School prepares a diverse group of boys with academic ability and good character to lead productive and fulfilling lives by making a college preparatory education financially accessible. Additional information about CFS can be found at www.gocfs.net.
The Church Farm School seeks an experienced and engaging School Counselor. The School Counselor must be an enthusiastic, collaborative, trauma-informed and dedicated professional who can serve the varying needs of our highly diverse population. The School Counselor is focused on supporting the overall success and well-being of our students and will nurture the development of students’ intellectual and emotional well-being. The School Counselor will also work closely with other members of the Health and Wellness Team – the Director of Student Life and DEI; the Director of Health and Wellness/Head Nurse; the Coordinator of Academic Support; and the Academic Team – in developing a well-being program/curriculum.
This is a 10-month, full-time faculty position and requires a minimum of a master’s degree oriented to adolescent development, psychology and/or education and eligibility for Pennsylvania licensure as a psychologist, clinical counselor or clinical social worker. The School Counselor is considered faculty and as such shares responsibilities in the academic, athletic, spiritual, residential, and co-curricular life of the school.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A master’s degree in Counseling
- Certification as School Counselor, specifically LPC
- At least three years’ experience in a school setting
All candidates must have experience working in a culturally diverse, all-male student boarding environment, and be able to nurture the development of students’ emotional and social skills while also helping them to respond compassionately and ethically to the world around them.
The successful candidate will have:
- Cultural competence with an understanding and appreciation of working with constituents across varied backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail, as well as excellent communication skills.
- A shared understanding of CFS’ mission and a demonstrated commitment to the core principles of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Additional responsibilities include attending faculty meetings and professional development opportunities and providing tutoring some evenings and weekends.
As a key member of the Health and Wellness Team, the School Counselor will:
- Report to the Director of Health and Wellness
- Provide essential counseling and related services that include:
- Cultivation of a team approach, ensuring that every student is known, as well as encouraging use of the counseling services available
- Communication, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution, self-advocacy and self-awareness
- Multicultural/diversity, cultural competency awareness and specifically, experience working with young men of color
- A familiarity with substance abuse/sanctuary, addiction, LGBTQ+ students, learning differences and other diversity matters
- Individual counseling, crisis assessment and management, consultation and referrals, facilitation of groups, conflict mediation and coaching of peer counselors
- Professional development of faculty and staff in conjunction and consultation with the Director of Health and Wellness/Head Nurse, Academic Support Coordinator and Student Life Team
- Management, in conjunction with administration, of all mandated reporting
- Initial assessments and short-term counseling for students, connecting them with appropriate resources/professionals
- Demonstrate a willingness to support the stated mission of the school through time, dedication, personal example, actions and attitude
- Work closely with the Director of Health and Wellness/Head Nurse and Academic Support Coordinator in collaborating on overall well-being for the students and the community at large
- Be current on professional conduct, skill and service through appropriate association and training
- Maintain effective office management and data-driven written reports in pursuit of strategic goals
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful, professional relationships with students, families and all members of the CFS community
- As we are a residential school, the School Counselor should be prepared to work some weekends and evenings
- Help to promote and to maintain a sense of community and collaboration
- Perform other duties as assigned
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Church Farm School offers competitive salaries, school housing or a housing stipend (when school housing is not available), a generous benefits package including retirement plan and medical insurance. The school is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Church Farm School welcomes and celebrates diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Apply by letter to 1001 East Lincoln Highway, Exton PA 19341 (Attn: Assistant Head of School) or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include by separate attachments: cover letter indicating passion for the position; resume or curriculum vitae of qualifications and experiences; and names and contact information for three professional references. Please enter the position in the subject line of the email.