Houston, TX United States
St. Mark’s Sexton is a crucial position for the students, families, and faculty at St. Mark’s Episcopal School. While this position encompasses many different duties, its primary function is running the day-to-day custodial care to the school and church buildings.
St. Mark’s School Sexton will: (Demeanor)
- Receive guests and visitors as well as faculty, staff, and administration in a friendly, courteous manner, and be sensitive to how her/his demeanor is reflective of the School
- Adapt accordingly to circumstances that arise
- Communicate issues, questions, and circumstances to the School’s administration in a timely and professional manner
Work Type: Full-time 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year, with occasional unscheduled overtime on demand.
Work Schedule: Start time of 10 am with an end time between 6 pm -7 pm. Also, varies dependent on school and church events
Job Description: The essential purpose of this position is to provide custodial and minor maintenance care to the school and church buildings. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary and directed, must be available for special events and last minute schedule changes.
General Responsibilities: Works alone or in a team with minimal direct supervision to keep all buildings clean and orderly by performing the following, but not limited to:
- Spot cleaning and shampooing all carpets
- General cleaning
- Window washing
- Floor stripping, waxing, and buffing
- Washes, cleans, disinfects bathrooms, classrooms, kitchens
- Replace and stock supplies
- Gathers and disposes trash in buildings and on grounds
- Painting, minor maintenance
- Light bulb replacement
- Yard raking and blowing
- Sidewalk sweeping and power washing
- Event setups and take downs ( chairs, tables, projector, and screens)
- Playground cleaning (including sandbox raking)
- Assisting staff with transporting of items, loose and boxed
- Unlocks and secures the buildings as directed
- Advises Supervisor of potential building and grounds issues
The specified area of work responsibilities will include offices, hallways, bathrooms, classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria, main hall, sanctuary, and all campus grounds.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Adequate knowledge of cleaning and caring of a building and grounds
- Ability to work independently at times without direct supervision
- Ability to recognize problem areas
- Ability to manage time and juggle multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to communicate with staff, members, students, guests
- Ability to comprehend instructions and take direction
- Ability to work around children
- Ability to manage stress in a sometimes hectic environment
- Normal physical mobility and coordination which includes movement from place to place such as climbing stairs.
- Ability to reach and bend, push/pull, and lifts and carries objects within a weight range from 3 pounds to 40 pounds. Ability to assist with handling objects in excess of 40 pounds.
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Must be able to work outdoors in seasonal conditions.
- Must be in overall good general health.