Annapolis, MD United States
St. Margaret’s Day School seeks talented, energetic, and professional team player to assist and support the Director with overall preschool management to promote the development of each child’s spiritual, physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development in a nurturing, hands on, innovative and critically thinking environment. The Assistant Director’s responsibilities will support the Director’s management all aspects of both the day-to-day operations and long-term success of the school. This individual should embody the mission of St. Margaret’s Day School and strive to inspire and invigorate our school community for years to come. Our ideal candidate will be positive, respectful and form professional relationships with children, parents, colleagues, church members and staff, and the preschool community.
The Assistant Director must have the capacity to inspire, motivate, and lead others in a way that encourages student and family engagement and staff retention. They will be energized by the unique possibilities embodied in the strategic vision for SMDS, while being committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion and fostering an environment that equally welcomes, respects, and values everyone. The Assistant Director should display the highest level of integrity, confidence, courage, and conviction.
SMDS welcomes nominations and applications for an innovative, thoughtful, and inspiring leader to assist its new Director effective July 1, 2022.
Reporting to the Rector of St. Margaret’s Church and the Chair of the St. Margaret’s Day School, as well as the Director of the Day School for day-to-day operations, the Assistant Director should be a strong professional who will support the Director in sustaining the positive morale of the faculty, while being accessible and available to parents, adhering to health, safety, and emergency protocol. He or she will also assist in marketing the school to maintain enrollment and track/manage school financials. Specifically, the Assistant Director will help the following six categories of responsibilities:
- Communicate effectively with students, staff, supervisory personnel, and community, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Model conflict resolution by communicating directly with individuals. Use coaching, mentoring, and collaboration skills to develop solutions.
- Administer and score ESR-I screenings within the first 3 months of school.
- Stay in close contact with the Director and ensure they are informed on issues regarding SDMS.
- Faculty and Student
- Participant in the recruitment, orientation, supervision and evaluation of teachers and staff, as well as assist in the instructional leadership to the staff for development and implementation of curriculum.
- Ensure all staff are following MSDE, MD Excels credentialing and NAEYC Policies and performing all duties and responsibilities outlined in their job descriptions. Assist the Director in oversight and maintenance of NAEYC accreditation, MD Excels level 5, and MAEOE certification.
- Assist the Director in holding monthly staff meetings and team meetings.
- Assist in observations of classrooms and collaborate with Director to develop action plans. Under the guidance of the Director, evaluate classroom curriculum and environment to ensure that it meets the guidelines set by MSDE and NAEYC to support the child’s spiritual, physical, emotional, cognitive, and social development.
- Assist in establishing and sustaining a sense of community through parent involvement and promoting parent retention.
- Serve as a resource for families offering articles, parent boards (PTO), newsletters, and community contacts.
- Keep the Director informed of parental concerns and issues.
- Health and Safety
- Supervise faculty in documentation of all accidents and notify parents in a timely fashion.
- Follow state regulations regarding incidents of abuse or neglect.
- Assist the Director in monitoring the maintenance of facility, equipment, and supplies.
- Maintain CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Assist the Director with advertising, conduct parent tours, participate in marketing events to ensure high enrollment with wait lists.
- Under the guidance of the Director, enroll families and assist in orienting new families.
- Under the Director’s guidance, collect and record tuition payment payments, as well as assist in managing purchases to maintain SMDS budget.
- Keep a regular inventory of supplies and inform the Director of supply purchases.
- Bachelor’s degree in education – master’s degree preferred.
- 2 years of experience in school administration
- Highly engaged and collaborative leader with a deep understanding of early education.
- Strong communicator with excellent problem-solving skills and discretion.
Requested application materials include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and professional reference list. References will not be called without explicit permission. For best consideration all candidates should submit materials by November 12, 2021, to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Margaret’s Day School (SMDS) is located on the lovely, historic campus of St. Margaret’s Church in Annapolis, Maryland. SMDS currently operates pre-primary (24-36 month), primary (3-6 years) and Kindergarten with three staff members in each classroom: a degreed teacher and two assistant teachers. Currently, SMDS employs approximately 25 staff and has a student enrollment of 142. Accredited by the National Association of the Education of Young Children and MD Excels, SMDS offers a comprehensive program dedicated to the personal development and growth of each child through a curriculum of creative play and developmentally appropriate activities. A young child needs to have the opportunity to grow in relationships with other children of similar ages socially, emotionally, physically, intellectually, and spiritually. These goals are best achieved in a warm, open learning environment, facilitated by professional, caring adults.
All SMDS classes incorporate STEM activities and nutritional “Eat to Live” philosophy into daily lessons. SMDS’s growing Outdoor Classroom enhances all lessons and curriculums. The kindergarten uses the McGraw Hill Reading series and the Harcourt Brace math curriculum. Throughout the school year, SMDS offers multiple opportunities, at various times in the day and evening, for families to participate in their child’s school experience.
Please send resumes to email@example.com.