New York, NY United States
Grace Church School’s mission of fostering academic excellence, ethical values, and an inclusive community anchors our program and informs our pedagogy and curriculum, preparing our students to lead meaningful and productive lives. The school nurtures and educates the whole child, understanding that our humanity comprises mind, body, heart, and spirit. We celebrate our differences, respect our diversity, and embrace our shared human experience.
Candidates should have previous and relevant teaching and/or tutoring experience. We are seeking a confident, team oriented, ethical, adaptable and thoughtful educator with excellent communication skills to join a diverse and nurturing school community.
Candidates must be motivated, curious and enjoy working in an educational environment. Collegiality, flexibility, openness to feedback and professionalism are essential.
- Using a synchronous hybrid education model, substitute teachers will supervise students in a classroom as the lead teacher instructs virtually.
- Co-delivery of content aligned with lead teacher’s curriculum
- Managing safety and execution of in-class activities
- Providing effective and respectful classroom management
- Collaboration with teachers, Grade Deans, Science Department Coordinator, Math Department Coordinator, Math and Science Center Directors, and Director of High School Learning Supports.
- A bachelor’s degree in a math-related field is required.
- Candidates should have prior teaching experience, with high-school experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills
- Openness to feedback
- Know how to deliver age-appropriate instruction that is responsive to the needs of adolescents and promotes equity in the classroom.
- Proficient computer skills and management of information online
- High degree of emotional intelligence, flexibility, and strong relational and interpersonal skills
- Professionalism and positive role-modeling for students
- Reads and follows the policies and procedures in the Employee Handbook
- Substitute Teacher Compensation Rate- $200/day
Grace has developed detailed plans for how to reopen safely in the coming year. Initial interviews for this position will take place on Zoom.
Our Commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism:
Grace Church School seeks to provide its students with an outstanding education and with the desire to use it to make the world a better place. Every facet of our work is enhanced by the diversity and strength of our community. We believe that equity and inclusion are not only hallmarks of a just society, but also virtues essential to sound learning. And so, Grace seeks to recognize and honor the unique gifts of its students, families, faculty, and staff—and the cultures, beliefs, values, and experiences that have shaped them—striving always to cultivate mutual understanding, humility, respect, and kindness.
But inclusion is not enough and equity is an impossibility if we cannot name, acknowledge, and oppose the forces of racism and all forms of bias, hate, and fear that exist in our society and that seek to diminish so many in our midst. Knowing this, we commit ourselves to the work of anti-racism and to the cause of justice: that all students may find in Grace a home, may learn from Grace their precious worth, and may hear from Grace a call to serve the common good and the dignity of humanity.
Interested applicants can apply by submitting a résumé and cover letter through the employment page of our school website.