Alexandria, VA United States
St. Paul’s Episcopal Preschool (SPEP) is seeking a Teaching Assistant for our Toddler Class (ages 18months – 29 months).
This 4 hours per day Teaching Assistant position (8:30 – 12:30, late August through early-June), works in partnership with and assists the Lead Teacher in the daily operation of the classroom. In addition to work in the classroom, all instructional assistants attend in-service days, faculty/staff meetings, appropriate training sessions, and participate in severall all-school events.
Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, SPEP is a ministry of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church serving children 18 months through Kindergarten. Through a developmentally appropriate play-based and literacy-rich curriculum, SPEP seeks to promote a child’s full potential – emotionally, socially, academically, physically, and spiritually.
Responsibilities and Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working directly under the Lead Teacher; working with students, instructional work with individuals, small groups and whole class; performing a variety of other needed support, clerical and administrative tasks; creating materials, and other duties as needed.
- Engaging children in age appropriate activities and play that stimulates their development.
- Creating and maintaining an environment that is clean, organized, and safe for all children
- Appropriately supervising children while keeping them safe at all times; responding to their emotional, social, and physical needs as well as their educational needs
- Assisting children with activities of daily life (e.g., diapering, dressing) and being one of the primary caregivers for children in the classroom
- Communicating with the Lead Teacher regarding all aspects of the children’s care as well as classroom management
- Being warm and nurturing and a positive role model for all children
- Providing professional and excellent customer service according to the standards of St. Paul’s Episcopal Preschool
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school degree or equivalent education
- Have at least 1 year of experience working with children and/or a certificate in early childhood education
- Submit to various background checks including those completed through the VA Department of Education
- Be CPR, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogen certified or obtain certification upon hire (paid for by SPEP)
- Provide a Physician’s Statement for a health screening as required by the Code of Virginia, Section 63.2-1716
- Be mentally and physically capable of caring for a small group of children in a classroom. Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry children up to 30lbs
- Possess a strong work ethic, be punctual, and have minimal absences
- Have dependable transportation
Please submit an email of interest and resume to Kristin Teeters, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org