Richmond, VA United States
St. Catherine’s School seeks a highly motivated and dynamic educator who can work collaboratively to help design and facilitate innovative Computer Science & Robotics learning opportunities for our Upper School students (grades 9-12).
Primary responsibilities include developing and teaching both new and existing Computer Science courses and opportunities for students to help expand our Upper School programming. The ideal candidate will provide an engaging, safe, and supportive environment for Upper School students to build skills and confidence in Computer Science and STEM, build strong relationships with students, and contribute to the overall life of the school.
Supervisors: Director of Innovation and Educational Technology & Head of Upper School
Position Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 9-month
Hours of Work: Standard work week. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts St. Catherine’s School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
- Work in partnership with the Computer Science department to develop and teach multiple computer science classes in the Upper School (courses may include AP Computer Science, Honors Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Cybersecurity)
- Facilitate Robotics and STEM-focused extracurricular opportunities for Upper School students
- Maintain an advisory of Upper School students
- Foster an equitable and inclusive educational environment
- Professional experience and/or a personal commitment to increasing understanding of topics and initiatives related to diversity, access, equity, and belonging
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM, Computer Science preferred
- Experience teaching high school students; specifically in the areas of Computer Science, Science, Math, or Technology
- Experience coaching Robotics teams
- Knowledge of digital fabrication tools including laser cutters and 3D printers
- Flexible mindset and ability to bring innovative approaches to instruction and assessment
- Experience exploring and piloting new technologies
- Creative and energetic teaching strategies and good classroom management skills
- Strong initiative and organizational skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to manipulate, handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; and smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
Occasional overnight and out-of-area travel may also be required for special events.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information about the school’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this link https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging.
An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.