Charleston, SC United States
Porter-Gaud School, an Episcopal school for over 1,000 students, is seeking a full-time Upper School Head Chaplain (Head Chaplain). This position could be a permanent or an interim position. In either case, the position begins January 4, 2021 and, if interim, concludes on June 5, 2021. The permanent position is full-time, 12-months, with benefits and vacation leave.
The Head Chaplain must be an ordained minister in good standing with either the Episcopal Church in South Carolina or The Anglican Diocese of South Carolina. The Head Chaplain will lead the spiritual life of the Upper School division under the direction of the Head of School and in coordination with the Head of Upper School. The Head Chaplain coordinates the efforts of the chaplaincy team which consists of the Head Chaplain who serves as Upper School Chaplain, a Lower School Chaplain, a Middle School Chaplain, and a lay chaplain.
- Assist the Division Chaplains in all aspects of chaplaincy at Porter-Gaud.
- Teach New Testament classes to Upper School students.
- Plan and lead weekly Upper School chapel services.
- Coordinate a weekly service of Holy Communion for faculty and staff, conducted on a rotational basis by the Chaplaincy Team.
- Lead weekly Upper School vestry and Bible studies; lead annual retreat, and occasional mission trip.
- Coordinate part-time staff for Vestry studies.
- Support and help to coordinate the efforts of Jewish Life.
- Serve as a member of the Upper School Student Support Team.
- Offer pastoral care to Upper School students, faculty, and families.
- Assist with Upper School character education as well as parent and student education on issues affecting adolescents and their families.
- Participate actively in Diocesan and deanery meetings and in the life of a local Anglican / Episcopal parish.
The successful candidate must:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (an advanced degree is an advantage, especially an MDiv).
- Ordained minister in good standing in the Anglican / Episcopal Church.
- Show evidence of participation in the Anglican / Episcopal Church.
- Have experience in a school, church, or camp setting teaching and/or ministering to youth.
- Display a genuine caring and approachable manner.
- Minister pastorally and effectively to a wide variety of people, including students, parents, faculty and staff, including people of diverse faiths.
- Evidence of a passion for working with young people, especially Upper School students.
- Evidence an awareness and appreciation for the relationship boundaries inherent within a school setting.
- Willingness to lead diversity and inclusion efforts at the school.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively within an academic institution.
The Head Chaplain reports directly to the Head of School. As a member of the Upper School Faculty and as a Department Chair, this Chaplain also answers to the Head of the Upper School.
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com