Richmond, VA United States
St. Catherine’s School is an Episcopal day school in Richmond, Virginia, founded in 1890 enrolling 946 girls age 3 through grade 12. Located on a 16-acre campus in the western part of the city, St. Catherine’s core values include pursuing academic excellence, developing character, nurturing spiritual growth, celebrating individuals, and building community.
St. Catherine’s School provides a rigorous education that prepares girls with diverse perspectives for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a global community.
St. Catherine’s School seeks a committed, enthusiastic, and innovative Upper School Latin and English Teacher to begin work for the 2023-2024 school term. The Upper School Latin program educates students in the grammar and literature of Latin and Greco-Roman studies. Students have the option to take Greek or another ancient language during the senior year, depending on interest and teacher expertise. The Upper School English curriculum focuses on helping students to develop an appreciation for literature written by diverse authors, critical thinking skills to analyze literature from multiple viewpoints, and communication skills to convey ideas and arguments cogently in writing and in speech. The Grade 9 curriculum introduces students to literary analysis through a genre study of world literature, while the Grade 10 and 11 surveys present an overview of British and American literature, respectively. Students choose from an array of diverse elective courses in the senior year.
Supervisor: Director of Upper School; English Department Chair; World Languages Chair
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Position Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 9-month
Hours of Work: Standard work week. Occasional evening chaperoning and travel supervision.
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts St. Catherine’s School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
- Create a classroom community based on the School’s core values
- Implement and uphold the School’s access, equity, and belonging initiatives
- Developing and implementing Latin and English curriculum that includes a focus on skill development
- Teach a variety of courses in the Latin and English Departments at more than one grade level and be willing to design senior electives in English
- Work collaboratively with and align with colleagues teaching same-level courses
- Serve as an Upper School academic advisor
- Sponsor extracurricular activities
- Assist in leading the Upper School’s X-Term experiential learning program
- Serve on School life committees when requested
- Find joy in working with students and the wider School community both in teaching and taking part in the broader life of the School
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in English or Latin/Greco-Roman Studies (master’s preferred)
- Experience in and passion for teaching Latin and English at the Upper School level
- Demonstrated creative and energetic teaching
- Strong classroom management skills
- Articulate current trends in world languages and English education with a proven history of implementation of these trends
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Facility with and strong implementation of educational technologies
- Ability to coach a sport is desired
- Uphold the high standards of the School’s established program
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; and smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
Occasional overnight and out-of-area travel may also be required for special events.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information about the school’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this link https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging.
An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.