Richmond, VA United States
St. Catherine’s School is an Episcopal day school in Richmond, Virginia, founded in 1890 enrolling 946 girls age 3 through grade 12. Located on a 16-acre campus in the western part of the city, St. Catherine’s core values include pursuing academic excellence, developing character, nurturing spiritual growth, celebrating individuals, and building community.
St. Catherine’s School provides a rigorous education that prepares girls with diverse perspectives for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a global community.
St. Catherine’s seeks a dynamic and skilled classroom teacher whose passion is teaching girls physics starting with the 2022-2023 school year. St. Catherine’s state-of-the-art Armfield Science Center and excellent library resources will support the successful candidate in engaging girls in an outstanding learning environment. The successful candidate will inspire girls to become leaders in STEM fields and should be active in professional organizations. In addition to classroom responsibilities, the position includes serving as an advisor to a group of students, sponsoring extra-curricular activities, and engaging in collaborative curriculum work with colleagues.
Supervisor: Head of Upper School
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Position Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 9-month
Hours of Work: Standard work week
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts St. Catherine’s School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
- Teach two classes of on-level Physics and one class of Conceptual Physics during the 2022-2023 school year.
- Ability to teach a course in Robotics, assist with Robotics programming, or teach in another area of science such as chemistry or biology is preferred.
- Collaborate with other faculty and align curriculum with Science Department and Upper School standards.
- In addition, the position requires serving as academic advisor and actively engaging with and supporting students in the life of the School, including leading an X-Term program and club sponsorship.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidates should hold at least a bachelor’s degree with a major in Physics. A master’s degree is preferred, and previous independent school experience is an asset.
- Fluency in wide range of pedagogical approaches and strong classroom management skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to find joy in working with others, and strong facility with technology are qualities sought in the candidate.
- Interest in coaching a sport or leading a co-curricular activity is desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to grasp, handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; and smell. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information about the school’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging.
An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.
To apply for this position, https://apply.workable.com/st-catherines-school/j/EDDB8337EE/