“An effective school chaplain can make an extraordinary difference in life of an Episcopal school. As pastor, priest, prophet, and teacher, the chaplain can serve as a binding, spiritual force, standing at the crossroads of faith and reason, individual and community, tradition and change…The need for chaplains who feel called by God to carry out a ministry in this unique context, and who live exemplary lives supported by prayer and service, has never been greater.”— NAES Principles of Good Practice for School Ministry in Episcopal Schools
The NAES Mentoring Program for New Chaplains provides a unique opportunity for first- and second-year Episcopal school chaplains to work one-on-one with an experienced mentor as well as participate in in-person and online learning and conversation.
About the 2019-2020 Program
Each new chaplain is matched with an experienced Episcopal school chaplain mentor. The program consists of:
- A one-hour online orientation
- A professional development gathering for all mentors and mentees in Houston, Texas, October 25-26, 2019 to engage in meaningful conversations about school chaplaincy and lay the ground for the year ahead
- Monthly mentor/mentee conversations
- Semi-annual check-ins with NAES staff members
- Access to resources about Episcopal schools, school chaplaincy, and effective mentor/mentee relationships
Costs and Fees
Each school is asked to underwrite the lodging and travel costs related to attending the October 25-26, 2019 gathering in Houston, Texas. There are no other fees for the mentoring program.
Who May Apply
Ordained or lay chaplains beginning their first or second year as chaplain in 2019-2020 at an NAES member school are invited to apply. Applicants must be serving in at least a half-time capacity as a school chaplain.
How to Apply
Applicants and their schools must complete their respective parts of the application and email them together to Ann Mellow, NAES Associate Director, at email@example.com.
- Part I: Mentee Application (to be completed by the applicant)
- Part II: School Certification of Financial and Professional Development Support (to be completed by the applicant’s head of school or supervising administrator)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only completed applications will be considered. Applicants will be notified about participation within two weeks of the receipt of their application.
Contact Ann Mellow, NAES Associate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 716-6307.