“An effective school chaplain can make an extraordinary difference in life of an Episcopal school. As pastor, priest, prophet, and teacher, the chaplain can serve as a binding, spiritual force, standing at the crossroads of faith and reason, individual and community, tradition and change…The need for chaplains who feel called by God to carry out a ministry in this unique context, and who live exemplary lives supported by prayer and service, has never been greater.”— NAES Principles of Good Practice for School Ministry in Episcopal Schools
The NAES Mentoring Program for New Chaplains provides a unique opportunity for first- and second-year Episcopal school chaplains to work one-on-one with an experienced mentor as well as participate in in-person and online learning and conversation.
About the Program
Each new chaplain is matched with an experienced Episcopal school chaplain mentor. The program consists of:
- A one-hour online orientation, to be held virtually on Wednesday, September 20, 2023 from 2pm to 3pm Eastern Time.
- A virtual fall professional development gathering for all mentors and mentees to engage in meaningful conversations about school chaplaincy and lay the ground for the year ahead, held online on Thursday, October 5, 2023, 11am to 3pm Eastern Time.
- Monthly mentor/mentee conversations.
- Semi-annual check-ins with NAES staff members.
- Access to resources about Episcopal schools, chaplaincy, and effective mentor/mentee relationships.
Costs and Fees
There are costs or fees for the mentoring program.
Who May Apply
Ordained or lay chaplains beginning their first or second year as chaplain at an NAES member school are invited to apply. Applicants must be serving in at least a half-time capacity as a school chaplain.
How to Apply
There are two parts to the application for the mentoring program:
- Part I: Mentee Application (online form to be completed by the applicant).
- Part II: School Certification of Financial and Professional Development Support (PDF form to be completed by the applicant’s head of school or supervising administrator).
Download form here.
Deadline to apply is August 1, 2023. Only completed applications will be considered. Applicants will be notified about participation within two weeks of the receipt of their application.
Contact Monica Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 716-6134.